References for support staff

What do you all do when applicants for roles such as Midday Assistant or Teaching Assistant can't provide details for the type of referees we ideally need?  As an example I have an applicant for a TA role who has managed a cafe for the last 8 years that is owned by her brother.  Would you accept a reference from a family member?  I wouldn't normally but if someone hasn't any other work history what is the minimum you normally accept?  I've found a few people who have had very long career breaks for having a family and it's often hard for them to give me suitable references.

• I would be exploring every other alternative I could so in your example I would ask if they have a relationship with a professional who would be willing to give them a reference in their professional capacity. If her family member owns the cafe they may have an accountant who would be willing to at least confirm the applicant has been employed at the cafe and in what capacity.

I think looking at if you accepted a reference from a family member how meaningful is it? How reassured would you feel by it?

If you had no alternative I would also put a risk assessment on file to cover the risk of one of the references being from a family member.
  • Hi Andrea, same as above. The risk assessment is very important, don't forget to log this on your SCR as well.
  • Agree with other posts. Alternative character reference and risk assessment.
  • You need to be clear what you are looking for from a reference.

Working in a cafe isn't going flag a safeguarding record, regardless of whether it's family run or not, just the same as if the individual worked in a supermarket, where references from another school will. You also would not have known the family member was providing the reference without the individual being honest about this.

You would at least be looking at whether the details the applicant provided on the application match what the reference states. If you wish to double check because it's a family member you can ask them to provide payslips, or HMRC provide statements to show employment if the candidate requests this although this can take some time.

Realistically you shouldn't be able to ask for a reference from more than 7 years ago due to DPA, so you have to do the best you can. We ask for a minimum of 2 personal referees if the individual was unemployed, who have known them for at least 5 years, ideally from a person of standing e.g. a religious leader etc.

We managed to hire someone who was unemployed and homeless for sometime by really thinking about what was it we needed and then wanted from references, among other checks.