Payment for staff member off LTS over the holidays, finished on 31st August

A member of staff who has been off sick has just dropped down to 50% pay. They gave their notice before the end of May resigning effective on 31st August.

My question is, if they get a fit for work note on the first day of the holidays, are they entitled to return to full pay for the summer break? 

• Hi Katie - if the sickness continues into the holidays the teacher needs to continue to supply certification. Given that fit notes state not fit or may be fit I'm not sure how they would supply a "fit for work note" on the first day of the holidays. If they return before the holidays full pay would re-apply but if they do not I would expect them to supply not fit for work notes in order to continue getting 50% sick pay until the resignation date. Not sure if this helps at all - Kind regards.
  • In reply to Amanda:

I think the point is that the employee is certified "fit for work" on the first day of the holidays, hence earning full pay for the duration of the holidays up to her final day of employment. True weasel cunning.

Got any training days planned for the holidays? Would you like to schedule some now?

I assume holidays in a school setting aren't pro rated on departure?