Probation

Hi colleagues,

Bit unsure so I thought I would seek your professional reassurance.

Had an employee (Associate staff) who wasn't really performing and as a result we have extended his probation by 3 months, this was only done last week. However this week he's made a few unforgivable performance related errors and we are are looking to conduct a pre probation meeting with a view to terminate his contract.

My question is can I invite him into a pre-probation meeting advising that his contract may be terminated and consider terminating his contract after the meeting?

Thank you in advance :)

• The only real risk here is if the wording of the probation extension was so poor that you guaranteed him three months to improve. (it does happen)

If not then I would proceed with invite, review , dismiss, appeal. Its not a pre-probation meeting (whatever one of those is) but a performance review meeting that will consider his future with the company.
  • HI Yasir
    Broadly your process is OK. Nonetheless, good practice would be to give them an opportuinity to offer any mitigating information at the meeting, then adjurn, decide, and inform him of your decision. Unless you are in gross misconduct areas (and you don't suggest this in your post), you should pay with notice or in lieu of notice. With less than two years service you are not running any risks unless there are protected characteristics that may have affected the performance.