School Leadership roles and Teachers Pensions

I am looking for some advice please.

My HT was at a meeting recently where they were discussing the  Teacher Pension scheme and a meeting member was talking about any members of a Leadership Team (Qualified Teachers) within School needing to be actually teaching for 30% of their time to be enable them remain  a member of the TPS.  I know my HT would not be able to commit to this requirement and wonder what the actual situation is and how, if this is the case, it is checked/audited.  

• Hi Sharon

Presumably it was a teacher who was asserting such a ‘fact’ - which surely would mean that all Head Teachers etc would have never to drop below 30% personal class contact in order not to be thrown out of the TPS - clearly absurd!

It also probably illustrates that some (many?) teachers tend to have entirely misplaced confidence in their own grasp of ‘the facts’.

As far as I can see, officially, this bit of delicate fence-sitting still very much applies:

www.teacherspensions.co.uk/.../executive-head-ceo-eligibility.aspx

- and, in reality, if the employer enrols a particular staff member in the TPS, then surely the TPS won’t normally ever require further proof of their present or continuing eligibility for membership?

• In reply to David:

Thank you David I appreciate the time you take to offer your support.
  • Don't you have their pension handbook? The information should be in it.