How do you induct new teachers prior to them starting?

Hi 

I have been asked to look at how we induct our teachers into our school prior to them starting with us so a pre-induction induction if that makes sense!

Currently there is no real set programme in place new starters just arrange adhoc when they will come in and we are not exactly sure of what is happening when they do come in.

I was wondering if anyone had a more formal way of carrying out this process and any ideas about how it may be carried out

Thank you

Freya

• Nothing madly developed yet, but our intention this year is to invite all our new starters for September in on the same day in June.

Previously as you said, this was done on an ad-hoc basis with their Head of Department, but we've specified the date now so that we can use the same day to a) check all their documentation is in place or in progress for the SCR b) give them their tablets and IT access, so they can access some of our online induction training and information ahead of their formal start date and c) allow them to meet one another, as a sort of informal peer support group. We've had this in mind all year, so all our offer letters have mentioned this day (though - sigh - we may have to change the date now because of a clash with a HoD training day).

Hope that's helpful.
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

I think that's a great idea and definitely something I think we will be pinching :) I like the ideal of online induction training and information as well please can I ask what you have got online for them to view?
  • In reply to Freya:

Pinch away! We've developed a whole section of our intranet (Firefly) around information that our new starters might need - covering amongst other things an introduction from the Head, academic overview, pastoral structure, safeguarding, health and safety set up, structure of the school day, term dates, school maps etc. I can send you print outs if that's helpful?

We also use VWV's MyOnstream online learning platform, which provides specific modules on safeguarding, equal opportunities, data protection and the staff code of conduct, and our new starters can access that (with single sign on) directly from our intranet pages.
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

Ah thank you that would be great if you could send me some print outs? We are just looking at educare as an online learning platform so hopefully we can include that as well if it goes ahead! Thank you for your help with this

Freya
  • In reply to Freya:

I've emailed some PDFs over, so let me know if they don't arrive for any reason Freya. We moved away from Educare this year - there are always limitations with an online platform, but we found the VWV version to be more aligned with our needs (though much more limited in scope/courses offered)>
  • Hi, In my last school we did the same as Nina and had a 'Familiarisation Day' it was a great success. We chose a date towards the end of June and popped it in the school calendar and invited everyone that might present to the new staff on the day! We also put the requirement to attend in the offer letter. New staff found the day really helpful.