Introducing new policies

Good Afternoon,

We are looking to introduce and implement new policies ( pay policy, sickness policy, special leave policy).

Can you advise what would be the best way of doing it? Should we follow any process? 

Thank you, 

• I would suggest that a fair starting point will be prevailing law of your jurisdiction.
    This will set the perimeters which cannot be derogated from.
    The next step will be understanding the objectives of the company from senior executives. You will also need to understand the organisational culture and workforce constraints too.
    Once drafted it may be appropriate to ease enforcement and acceptance to hold few cross sectional workforce consultations as a sounding board; this will allow you to make necessary adjustments if necessary and ensure you have considered all relevant scenarios prior full blown implementation.
    Trust this helps
    Cheers
    Reena
  • Hi Sylwia I think it depends somewhat on the size and type of your organisation.I was brought in to do just that and have had whole team meetings to go through policies which worked quite well, but I work in a very small org.
  • Hello
    Your first point should be to understand why the policies are needed and what you are hoping to achieve.

A Trade Union meeting may be necessary before you implement any changes to current policies.

Thanks
  • Depends on how much "change" is involved.
    If a lot... consult. If minimal or more a question of documenting custom and practice, how about launching them as part of an issue ( or re-issue) of an employee handbook?
  • In a school environment, you're likely to have a consultative group or union reps that you consult with when you're adapting or updating policies. I did a wholesale review and update of our handbook last year, and had the added complication that someone had helpfully stated that the terms within it were contractual. We therefore had to negotiate the changes with all staff. I took the opportunity to divide the new handbook into contractual and non-contractual policies - keeping all the ones that went to the heart of the working relationship (ie around pay, holiday etc) as contractual, and making all the more information based policies non-contractual. It's worth checking before you start your process whether you have any of the same needs!
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

Thank you for all you comments
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

5 Mar, 2019 10:36

In reply to Sylwia Wroblewska:

Is this a school environment, Sylwia (noting the group in which you've posted)? Just checking.