INFECTIOUS DISEASES/ILLNESS

Hi 

I work within a charity where we have recently set up a school.  I am advised by the Headteacher that if an employee working in the school suffers from vomiting and/or diarrhea that they should not come into work for 48 hours after their symptoms have stopped.  Please can you advise what other school's policy is on this and any other infectious diseases.

Many thanks.

Pat

• Although most clinicians will tell you this is nonsense, this policy is extremely common. I encountered it in my work with pre-school settings, where it was ubiquitous.
  • 24 hours is the latest advice to schools re children. Adults really just need to make a call and apply common sense.
  • In reply to Robey:

Thanks - in general I would not want to be too prescriptive but equally do not want to fall foul of accepted educational practice.
  • The policy for children in a primary setting has always been 48 hours, but my understanding is that is based on their inconsistent (!) approach to hygiene. Certainly at my daughter's high school, their policy is 'usually 24 hours but not always - parental discretion', and that's for the pupils.

I think for staff, it needs to be sensible and proportionate, rather than a fixed formula - but there may be guidelines (specially in a primary setting) that require it.
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

As far as I know this is a standard and sensible precaution against Norovirus outbreaks but every gastric upset of course isn’t Nirovirus. So it’s a bit silly as a hard and fast rule but probably entirely appropriate if run past a professional medical person / source of advice
  • I have worked in a hospice environment, where the advice was 48 hours, although accepting of course that we had patients who couldn't be exposed to this sort of infection.