Can you help me with my MSc HRD Research?

Hi there, 

My name is Adam and I am currently undertaking some qualitative research as part of my MSc in Human Resource Development. 

I am looking to conduct some 60-90 minute interviews with individuals who took on their first managerial position, without any formal management training and as such, would be happy to talk about their experiences, both positive and negative!

Why am I doing this? 

Through reading for my literature review, I came across a topic on leader-shock,  (I can talk about this during the interview), but during the literature review, I soon realized that there was nothing on manager-shock and so thought this would be an original and interesting subject to focus for my dissertation.

How do I want to do this?

My research will be qualitative focused, and so consists of a semi-structured interview, in which I will be asking a number of questions based on your initial experiences in your first management role. 

The interview will be conducted in a 1-2-1 setting and complete privacy.  Your identity will be given a pseudonym, as will the organisation you work(ed) for and you will be asked to sign a research ethics form, which I will provide to you before the interview. 

If you would be happy to spare some time and talk about your experience, please please do let me know as I would be very keen to start speaking to people soon. If this is maybe not something you could help me with, but you know somebody who would be prepared too, please do direct them to here, please contact me at boscobel77@hotmail.co.uk. 

I can travel within the London and surrounding areas and I can do weekends too!

Once again if you can help out it would be very much appreciated and I will be happy to share some more details about the interviews, so you are fully aware of the types of questions, that I would be asking as well the ethical aspects of this research. 

Many thanks for reading this!

Best wishes, 

Adam 

• Hi Adam

Do the interviews need to be face to face or can they be over the phone? I can ask my husband if he would be interested - he took up his first manager role last September with no formal management training but we are York based.

Kind regards

Jackie
  • In reply to Jacqueline:

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for your response.

The interviews can absolutely be conducted over the phone or via Skype, but as long as I can record the interview on dictaphone and have these transcribed and have these transcribed as proof that I had conducted the interview of course :)

Please do let me know if you would like any more details.

Thanks again for getting in touch.

Adam
  • In reply to Adam Gardner :

Hi Adam
    I've given my husband your contact details and he's going to get in touch.
    Jackie
  • In reply to Jacqueline:

Thank you so much for this. That's so kind of you and I look forward very much to hearing from him.

Thanks again Jackie!

Adam