Checks on those previously working outside of UK

Morning,

I am currently updating and changing our format of the SCR to make it even more compliant!

One of the headings of the template I am using from The Key is below

Further checks on those previously living/working outside UK (see note 3)
Has individual lived or worked outside of the UK? EEA sanctions and restrictions check complete? Date checked Other relevant check(s) completed? (Include details of checks) Date(s) checked Checked by:

This is all very well for our newer staff which I have been recording since I began at my current post, however some of our staff have been with us for much longer. For example, I staff member that began with us Sep 2010.  But prior to starting with us he worked with us through an agency for a while, and then in other schools within the UK since 2005. In 2005 he was working in his a different EU country. 

My question is do I still need to include him as an individual who has lived or worked outside of the UK. I have looked at his file and have found the information we took from the vetting information from the agency and the recruitment checks we did in 2010 however none include overseas policy checks. I have his NARIC and QTS certificates so he is 100% qualified it's just more regarding the other overseas checks.

What have other people included on the SCRs for overseas teachers and TAs/staff working directly with the students? 

Thank you so much

Jenny

• You need to refer to the relevant DfE safer recruitment policy at the time they were employed to make sure you have carried all the checks that were requiredwhen they were employed.

In our MAT, we ask anyone who has lived/worked abroad (as an adult) to complete an overseas check as this is the equivalent of a DBS - if someone started working for you who had only lived in the UK for 5 years but previously in another country for 10 years, why would you not want to check them, after all it's about safeguarding children.

The current guidance states "should" complete overseas checks. Now I have had many disputes with this wording with my education peers as they see this as not mandatory, however, the section for references also states "should" but this is seen as a must. Even Ofsted give mixed views on what they will check - all rather alarming I think!
  • In reply to Kimberly:

Christopher Marlowe’s famous lines come to mind in this regard:

FRIAR BARNARDINE.:Thou hast committed--

BARABAS: Fornication:  but that was in another country;

And besides, the wench is dead.

- Illustrative, perhaps that simply being able to tick a box on the basis of some bit of paper from another possibly chaotically  and / or corruptly-run faraway land isn’t much  - indeed if any at all -  indication of the extent of any real or meaningful safeguarding risk. A far more thorough and holistic but realistic and effective risk assessment  is IMHO always essential .

• We have separate checks for teachers who have taught in EEA countries and the overseas checks for other countries that the individual has to do themselves. I would definitely do the EEA check for him - what would be the rationale for not including him in it?