References

Good morning all

I hope this has arrived in the schools forum, but not sure.

It is our policy to provide a standard reference for ex-employees but we have just received a very lengthy reference request for the post of receptionist in a secondary school.It is clearly aimed at teaching staff. My question is (not working in the area of schools) do LEA's have a statutory requirement to complete these or is it something each school does individually?

• I believe the only legislation regarding compulsory references is in any business covered by the Financial Authority.
  • In reply to David Perry:

Hi Julie
    Like my namesake says.

Would suggest too simply responding something like 'it is not our policy to depart from our standard form of reference for all former employees, which is attached in relation to (whoever)' - might just avoid any suspicion that there was anything wrong with this particular employee that their detailed questions might have revealed, had you answered them fully.

• Hi Julie

Our manager insists on our lengthy reference request forms, and people often reply to say they're not comfortable with the length but they can confirm the basics and sometimes a personal opinion.

I did a little bit of digging and couldn't find anything to say these reference requests weren't illegal (unfortunately) so if you do have time, I would complete the form, if not, just send a short email with the basic info they require and further qualitative info if you want.

Ella
  • In a school environment, references are much more detailed and need to be - even for support staff, because they have high levels of access to children by the nature of their roles. We have to ask a lot of questions around safeguarding, the Prevent duty etc, and to ensure that previous employers have no concerns about the person being employed in a school with access to children. I would suggest filling in as much as you can, and leaving blank anything that you aren't able to comment on.
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

I would echo Nina's point - the critical factor here is that all schools need to follow a 'Safer Recruitment' process, as outlined in the DfE guidance 'Keeping Children Safe in Education' - which includes the need to seek appropriate references. The overall aim is to ensure that we make it as difficult as possible for unsuitable candidates to gain access to children. It's sad to say that investigations into some of the worst-case experiences (Soham and others) have highlighted deficiencies in the recruitment process that might, had they been more robust, have saved lives. I feel it's important for all employers to appreciate that a reference request from a school or childcare setting has children's safety at heart. Please do complete the reference as best you can. Thank you.
  • In reply to Sarah:

Many thanks all, for your advice.
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

Hi Nina, just out of interest what type of questions do you ask? I am asking because I'm torn between 'keeping the company safe' and really basic answers and the fact that we have safeguarding responsibilities too.
    We are also a very small business and in return rely on good quality references.

Thank you Jenine
  • In reply to Jenine Cooper:

Hi Jenine,

If you drop me an email, I'd be happy to send you the form we use for references - nina.waters@emanuel.org.uk. We're a different size school I imagine, but it might be a good starting place.

Thanks,

Nina

• In reply to Julie:

Hi Julie

How about phoning the school to say that they seem to have sent you a reference request for a teacher but it appears that the ex-employee is being considered for a reception role. They will then explain why they have used that form of reference and you will feel comfortable about supplying it, or not, and respond accordingly. I'm sure our virtual colleagues who work in education are right but you would then hear it from the school.