HR databases in schools

Dear all,

Our school uses iSAMS as it's main database, which has a very limited HR function built in. Since I started here 18 months ago I've been looking at HR databases that might help get things structured the way I want them, but haven't found anything that could 'talk' to iSAMS without huge expense and time investment. I'd be happy with a relatively simple HR database - anything to get away from multiple spreadsheets - and am unlikely to get budget approval for anything very expensive or complicated. 

I would appreciate any comments about the way that HR databases work (or don't work) in your school. Obviously I'd prefer something that could talk to iSAMS to avoid duplicating data entry and causing confusion, but I rather think something that is separate is probably the way forwards. 

Any wonderful suggestions out there?

With thanks,

Nina

• We use SIMS but I still use spreadsheets. No idea whether it would talk to your system but SBS might be able to help you. www.schoolbusinessservices.co.uk
  • Hi Nina

I have just been reading your post from back in November. Did you get anywhere with a HR system? I work for a MAT (4 schools) - we all have separate SIMs systems and centrally we use lots of spreadsheets to monitor & record and lots of paper printing job descriptions, contracts & letters etc. I have just been tasked with researching for a central HR system for the Trust. If you have found anything useful please can you let me know? I will do likewise, if you are still looking.

Kind regards
    Elaine
  • In reply to Elaine Snell:

Dear Elaine,

It's not solved yet, but progress has been made ...

I've looked at a lot of mid-range systems, and have decided that Natural HR best meets our needs. They are now talking with our IT team, to work out the best way for it to talk to our iSAMS database.

Very happy to talk off line about the research I've done so far if that's helpful at all?

Nina
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

Hi Nina

Thank you for your response. I would be grateful if you could give me some pointers - how do we we talk offline?

Elaine
  • In reply to Elaine Snell:

Hi Elaine - I've sent a connection request via Linked In - might be easier to chat there!

Thanks