Differing benefits for TTO and year-round support staff

Good morning all 

Just wondering if anyone's establishment (education specifically) offer different benefits for TTO and year-round support staff?

For example: more generous contractual holiday entitlement for year-round vs TTO workers? 

I am working with a client who does this and it does not fit comfortably with me.  Would TTO workers be classed as 'part time workers' even if they work full time hours in term time? 

Thank you! 

Jo Moss 

• Hi Joanne

TTO staff are "part-timers" and should not receive less than the pro-rated equivalent of AYR staff. What is full time is determined by the establishment, but if a person works less than this when their hours are split across the whole year they effectively work part of what a "full-timer" would.

In my MAT the AYR staff actually receive less entitlement of certain types of leave, and a lot of the leave (other than holiday) is not pro rated for them e.g. TTO staff are entitled to additional paid time off for religious days whereas a AYR staff have to use their annual leave, and both AYR and TTO staff are entitled to 5 days paid dependants leave per academic year.
  • I agree with Kimberly. TTO workers are effectively part-time workers and protected by the Part Time Working legislation from being treated less favourably than full time workers.
  • In reply to Anna:

As far as I know in employment law it is not at all clear or certain whether term time only staff are part timers - even Unison say so:

www.unison.org.uk/.../On-line-Catalogue209253.pdf

That said, I personally think TTO is a misleading confusing and potentially unfair nonsense and have to agree with most of Unison’s stance about it