SCR Training

Hello all,

I am hoping to deliver SCR training in the new year and was wondering if anybody has any material I could use. 

Thanks in advance. 

Lily 

• Hi Lily,

Unfortunately I don't have anything I can send you directly, but when I worked in education, the guidance about the SCR focused on what you would need to include in the SCR record (how often someone would need to be in the academy and the breakdown of the different categories of people - Teaching, Support, Agency, Governing body, Partner agencies etc) and how you would would treat others that arent necessarily included such as visitors and guests etc. We were always careful to keep the SCR to the requirements of the KCSIE document and not adding to many other additional fields if they were not required i.e. training records which could be provided separately if requested.

The document then went through each of the SCR checks with an explanation of why and how to carry them out. This also developed from telling people about the checks to making sure people understand each one and its purpose as the Ofsted inspections were wanting to see that the person in the school had this understanding.

It was also important to stress standards expected with this document in that it needs to be continually updated without any empty fields and is consistently filled in i.e. with formatting and text etc. I would find that on inspection, if the document looked well managed and was presented in a clear way then this helped show that this was taken seriously and looked after. Also I would suggest to schools that if you have said it on the SCR then you should ideally have a record of this on the file. A final point would be that you have a person responsible for the administration in school for the document (and also the logins to the various website checks and access to the personnel files) and because it is a safeguarding document be clear that the responsibility for the document resides with the HeadTeacher/Governing body and to check this and sign off (often quarterly). I also discussed with school staff about the information they needed to keep for external staff such as agency and which organisation was required to carry out the checks and HR would often clarify this for them.

Hope this helps
  • In reply to Paul:

Thanks Paul!
  • In reply to Paul:

Thanks Paul!