CIPD & New Courses (Organisational Psychology?)

Hey CIPD community,

I personally enjoyed studying the level 3 diploma in Human Resource Practice 'HRP', however does anyone know if CIPD will ever introduce a level 4 or 5 Diploma in a new subject? I personally think CIPD should partner up with British Psychological Society 'BPS' and design a course that focuses on organisational psychology. I would be very keen/excited to study psychological aspects in the context of HR and L&D. Is it just me or anyone else interested? To make it accessible for all, the delivery mode should be online? 

• Umar, a few suggestions for what you can do while you wait:

Read Sarah Lewis's excellent book Positive Psychology at Work www.amazon.co.uk/.../B009XR2SZG

Attend the Division of Occupational Psychology's annual conference coming up in January 19 www.bps.org.uk/.../division-occupational-psychology-annual-conference-2019

Join the DOP Group on LinkedIn www.linkedin.com/.../
  • I am with you on this one. I love psychology, and would love to integrate that into my HR role.
  • In reply to Anna:

Hey Anna,
    Many thanks for this!
  • In reply to Hannah:

Hey Hannah,
    Yes, I agree with you it would be nice to integrate psychology in to the HR and L&D role. If we as practitioners deal with people issues, then psychology of how people operate in an organisational setting, only seems natural to the HR and L&D role.
  • In reply to Ray:

I personally think that a basic understanding of psychology, and more specifically behavioural psychology, in a work context is essential for anyone intending to operate in HR at a professional or managerial level.
    IMHO, equally important at this level is an understanding of business economics, statistics and certain aspects of sociology - these four subjects were part of the full-time compulsory preparation (3 months?) for my admission to the post-grad diploma in personnel management at the LSE in the summer of 1978
  • In reply to Ray:

Hey Ray,
    Thanks for the link but that course/training last only 2 days.
  • In reply to Ray:

I personally have attended University of Brighton bachelors progamme, everything I learnt from there was academic and theory, such knowledge is only applicable when at managerial level.

Why I would prefer CIPD to be the one designing a psychological diploma or stand-alone course, is because they are up to date and practical with there learning and they are the bench mark of HR face in the UK and Internationally.

With no disrespect, no one is gonna ask in a job application as part of a requirement a certain university. The UK and other parts of worlds HR job market prefer CIPD.

CIPD has done what all universities fail to do, actually impact the job market. You don't see employers putting as part of a desirable requirement University of Oxford or Cambridge.

Personally I have turned down many masters, as I'm looking for practical level 4/5 knowledge. Its important for HR practitioner of non managerial level to understand the psychological/social part at an early stage. This will benefit the organization in the long term as one day these practitioner might be strategic managers, directors or even CEO's by having that knowledge at a foundation stage, those reaching senior level can truly appreciate and understand the whole process of HR in the context of psychological and sociological impact and will make more informed humanistic approach.

Such knowledge should be taught and be made accessible to all, especially those starting there HR careers at entry level.