What benefits do you offer?

Hi all

I've been tasked with looking at our benefits package and wondered what other schools/MATs offer?

We have healthcare and CCVs. We also pay the tax on the healthcare on behalf of our staff, however, the usage is so low (less than 0.5%) that it is likely to get pulled. This is not a money saving exercise as I have been told to spend the same budget and am looking for inspiration.

I am looking at discounts at local gyms, breakdown cover, tastecard etc and also holding a health and well being day at least annually but hopefully bi-annually.

I have been told to be mindful that it is school funds so need to be able to justify what we offer (there goes the "wine for a whine" perk for HR ;) )

Thanks

Kim

• Why not get a group of staff together and ask them? Get them to discuss pros and cons of various things and see where you go.

The problem with the sort of things you suggest is that I suspect take up will be equally (if not worst) low.

Maybe they just want an end of term piss up? And if this is case then why not?
  • In reply to Keith:

Unfortunately, school funds cannot be spent on such things... gone are my days of an xmas parties with a free bar!

Having asked staff what they would like we haven't had many useful responses and just wondered if other schools offered anything out of the norm?
  • In reply to Kimberly:

There is actually nothing (I believe) preventing the funds from a MAT being spent in that way.

Most things out of the norm get very little take up.
  • Hi Kim

I am also looking at this - Have you considered something like perkbox? I am also looking at
    Lifeworks https://www.lifeworks.com/gb
    BHFS https://www.bhsf.co.uk/company

I think the best thing is to ask staff what they want some of ours just said free tea and coffee and a social club

Freya
  • Hi Kim

We looked at a few discount / perks websites but they were just too expensive.

We buy in to an 'employee assistance programme' (EAP) who offer over the phone advice on a range of issues. They offer face to face counselling or CBT through a referral process and offer advice for managers and Governors. They also offer workshops for staff (additional cost) which are quite impressive (i.e. resilience, time management etc).

One of our schools have a 'well being team', a group of 5 members of staff who volunteered. We coordinated an exercise to see what staff would value in terms of supporting their health and well being. Here are a few things that we introduced (all ideas came from the staff in the school);
    - well-being week every term - a full week where there are no CPD/meetings after school. All staff are actively encouraged to leave on time (not early)
    - the 'well being team' hi-jack a CPD session and do something for staff, this usually falls in the 'well-being week'. This has included a mindfulness session, a staff quiz, a Christmas gathering with mince pies and mulled wine, hand massages from a trained therapist, a game of rounders etc. Staff are not forced to attend, it is optional but generally gets a good turnout.
    - a termly star colleague award - each term, all staff have the opportunity to nominate their colleagues for any reason. Each term a teacher and a member of support staff are chosen as the terms 'star colleagues' and are presented with a seasonal hamper and a certificate (which staff display very proudly!)
    - a raffle twice a year, all staff names are put in a draw and those who win can grab a prize (wine, chocolates, smellies etc) (more controversially.. those staff with 100% attendance over the year get two entries in to the draw..)

Hope this helps!

Claire
  • Love some of those ideas Claire, and may well be stealing them ...

We've just put in place a SimplyHealth scheme. It's optional for all staff at the lowest level, and about half our staff have signed up for it. One thing that we ensured was included was access to telephone and face to face counselling (up to 6 sessions per 'issue' - not sure how they define an 'issue' however). It's been a popular and relatively low cost benefit so far.