LT Sickness Absence - follow up letter from review meeting

Appreciate some advice please.

I have an employee on LTS and have kept in regular touch etc.  I have a LT absence review meeting with them last week where I confirmed that our Governing Body would like to continue to monitor their absence for another 6 months as the OH report suggests that in some cases such as these a spontaneous recovery could occur.  This seems unlikely as their mobility is so poor but they have been with us a long time, good employee etc and the GB felt it was the right thing to do.

At the meeting I talked them through what would happen should they not recover sufficiently within the 6 months and with reasonable adjustments/reduced hours etc. they could still not carry  out thei role, which would be that they could be potentially dismissed through ill-health capablity.  I now need to follow this up with a letter.

Am I able to confirm in writing that although we are trying to do everytihing we can to support a positive outcome,  ultimately they could lose their job if not well enough to return?  Do I leave it exactly  6 months and then call them in for a formal absence review meeting, the outcome being dismissal?  They have over 12 years services, does this mean they should receive 12 weeks pay in lieu of notice even though the sick pay expired months ago?  Should I still go to OH (again) when the 6 months is due to expire, even if it is obvious they will not be able to return to work due to mobility problems?

Anything else I should be considering.

Many thanks 

• Hi Sharon, You could also say that you will arrange a further OH appointment during Nov 19 and following this a decision will be made as to whether it is necessary to arrange a meeting to consider termination of the contract of employment on grounds of ill health. If you dismiss you will need to pay notice even if sick pay is exhausted. Have you considered ill health retirement as if so you will need OH to be involved in that also? KR Amanda
  • Your middle paragraph really sums up what you need to warn them about , and if you do it now it won't come as a sudden shock. And yes I'd also tell them that you may well seek a further OHP referral just incase their medical prognosis changes and you or the employee may not be aware of.