Teach First Programme

Hi,

We have a member of staff who is coming to the end of his 2 year Teach First programme.  His contract is based on our normal Teacher contract (fixed term for 2 years) with the clause that he would be paid at UQT in the first year, and then subject to passing his QTS he would be employed as an NQT for the 2nd year.  He passed and his NQT year is coming to an end on 31st August.  However, he has now been employed for 2 years - so by my thinking he should be subject to a redundancy process.  

I have already upset the Principal once today, by telling him that a member of staff is entitled to Redundancy as they have accrued 2 years service following a succession of FTCs - so before I go back to deliver more - I would like to check whether there are any different regulations relating to training programmes in terms of redundancy rights?

I have had a look on Google and I think solicitors are in a similar situation (whereby they offer 2 year training programmes and people are asking if they are not able to offer a permanent post are the trainees subject to a redundancy process) - but I couldn't find a definitive answer.  

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Regards

Elaine