Teacher off sick attending interview

So we have a teacher who is signed off sick for a week with a trapped nerve in their neck. Therefore the doctor is saying that she unfit to teach a lesson.  We know that she was invited to an interview this week and have been asked to complete a reference for her. 

We understand that she has attended the interview, which would have entailed a lesson observation a formal interview etc... so how does this differ from what she does on a daily basis at her normal workplace?  I dont think it does and would like to know any ideas as to what we can do now?  Id say that this is a breach of trust, but how far can we take this?  Could this be gross misconduct, should we take her down the disciplinary route?   

Any ideas/thoughts would be greatly appreciated

• Forget it and hope she gets the job.

Its really a long and complicated road to take this and its unlikely to result in dismissal.

There is a good argument that teaching one lesson is entirely different to teaching 5 or 6 in a row.
  • In reply to Keith:

Good points Keith, thanks but i think the biggest issue is that we want to show all other staff to do the right thing, be honest, to talk to us and let us know and we can support you to have time off to attend these types of things. Especially if she doesn't get the job.
  • In reply to Darren Thorpe:

Yes I understand that - but you don't have a strong disciplinary case - unless you think (and can prove) the whole weeks sickness is false - but can you have reasonable belief of that?

Hi
    How will disciplining her have any effect on others? Any disciplinary would need to be confidential (especially as in this case it is doubtful that you would need to involve any other employee in an investigation) and therefore should not be discussed or broadcast just so you can 'make a point' as an example to others for the future
    Sue
  • I think the whole point i want to get across is that we dont just want to turn a blind eye to it.

Maybe disciplinary is/was too harsh to seek...

Far too harsh

By all means at your return to work interview make it known to her that you know she attended an interview. Turn the tables and see what her response is.

But as she is almost certainly under her T&Cs entitled to time off for interviews I am not sure what you think she is gaining. Unless you think the whole week was false?

• In reply to Keith:

Yes to some extent we do think that the whole week is false as we know she is not happy in work and wants out, therefore gaining a week off to do nothing but prep for an interview. But i also know that proving that is something else... and without proof i suppose there cant be a breakdown in trust.

Reasonable belief not proof - but apart from that I agree....
  • In reply to Keith:

Thanks keith.