If you can't take the heat, get out of the (school) kitchen...

This is a long one but I am hoping you can bear with me and provide me with some guidance.

We have a Catering team who provide external Schools with lunches for which it is very profitable for us.

Last year our Chef left, giving little notice (he went sick during his notice period) and we were left with a senior catering assistant. As the school funds were low (like other schools we lost some important funding) a decision was made to run with the Senior assistant, who it was felt could step up with some support until we found a much cheaper Lead Cook (as funds are low). During this time we lost 2 key schools as they felt the quality of the food was not as good and there were mistakes along the way. Which led to a bigger reduction in revenue.

We recruited a Lead Cook with many years experience, who has come into a Kitchen where the team have no respect for him (his leadership skills are poor), they work to rule (do what they have to and then leave on the dot) and have been little support. The Lead Cook has worked hard to improve hygiene standards (these were failing, which he picked up immediately) but his cooking has not been appreciated, either by the children or the remaining Schools. For example rice pudding was sent out last week which was watery and quite frankly looked less than appealing.

The manager has carried out the probationary review and had many conversations with the LC, when the complaints come in. The LC does not seem to understand and doesn’t seem to listen.

The LC came to see me on Friday to say he feels harassed. Very stressed. Not happy with Prob review feedback and will not sign the notes. Believes management are trying to get him out (which they are as Governors are concerned we are just about to lose another school). He said that the team were unmanageable; always arguing, bitching etc. and he has had little support since he started. He has worked many hours for nothing. He said that he had received no positive feedback from anyone and was only spoken to when taken to task. When I talked to him about the feedback from schools he said that he had cooked home made food which the children didn’t seem to like as they were used to cook in type sauces.

I have looked through the probationary review notes and any meeting notes which the LM has had with the Cook, all outline a great deal about what needs to improve but nothing about timelines and consequences (of failing the probationary period) should noticeable improvements not be made.

Now the Governors and HT want to call the Cook to a final probationary review meeting which could (will) end in dismissal.

My concerns are obvious, the whole thing has not been managed at all well and I do feel the LC has had no support but does not listen to feedback, as well as the team being a nightmare to manage.

Has anyone any advice on how I can help the HT to manage this mess. If you have got this far thank you.

• In reply to Steve Bridger:

Hi Steve, my post has attracted much food for thought:) We are a MAT but the School contributes to the MAT pot so effectively revenue from the kitchen is primarily used for school budget with a contribution to the MAT. I am beginning to wonder whether the Governors are qualified to run the business, as currently feeling that buck is stopping at the door of HR and I am not qualified (nor experienced enough to make critical business decisions). I do hope the Governor's are not members of our forum
  • Somewhat late to this thread and I have to admit to not having read every word above, but a couple of things jump off the page at me.

The first is that the original chef left suddenly and without "due process" basically downing tools (or fish-slice) and leaving you in the lurch. This begs the question regarding the team: Which came first chicken or egg? Was it the "uncooperative" team that drove the chef out or the chef who failed to create a cohesive team? This is not unimportant, because a once-sound team which has become disillusioned can be rebuilt much more readily than a group that have done nothing from their start-date but growl and spit at each other! If even before the appointment of the lead cook (LC) it seems hygiene was failing, this being a basic that should not need great supervision, I am tempted to think that the "team" simply wasn't!

So my immediate thought is that to resolve this is a far more "root and branch" issue than simply appointing a new leader. You need someone who has both established team-management skills and culinary skills that those in the team who want to cook, want to learn and want to serve their customer-group (of children, through client-schools) can both relate to and respect.

Someone like that will not come cheap, or be easy to encourage to take this role on.

I'm afraid the LC has to go. This is not a disciplinary issue (so your HR adviser is talking risk-averse drivel), it's capability. He is reputed to be an "experienced lead cook" and was hired on that specific basis yet has clearly failed to "lead" and has produced unpalatable food and unappetising recipes, costing you two client-schools in the process. What part of "incapable" needs explaining or developing upon? Suggesting he should be allowed "a chance to improve" is like saying the company's new HGV driver should be allowed time to pass the driving test's written paper! He has no traction with his non-team and cannot cook rice-pudding!

....and a "probation period" has no status in law, which your HR non-adviser should also be aware of, so there is no inherent requirement for review meetings or the rest of his suggestions unless these have been made contractual. The signing or not signing of any meeting notes is meaningless.

It's your choice who you get rid of first, but both need to go. (With more sympathy and regret from me for the LC than the HR-Insultant)

IMO you do need to run through a Capability Hearing with the LC, even if you do not offer an appeal. No-one should ever be dismissed without a hearing (you never know what you might learn from the process), but the outcome is almost a foregone conclusion, given the evidence to hand.

My approach to the governors would be that this catering outreach project is a dead duck. You do need to get something sorted for your own school's children, so some further investment will still need to be made in a (competent) team leader and maybe some new staff replacing the "moaners", but if they want it to become a cash-cow for the future they they need to accept that in the short term it will cost time, effort and at least one good chef/leader's salary to pick it off the floor.

P

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

13 Feb, 2018 15:43

In reply to Sharon :

"...so effectively revenue from the kitchen is primarily used for school budget."

That was my fear. A potential recipe for disaster (for the school kids).

(Not as helpful as Peter's post above)