Revision of job specs

Hi

We have a small group of technicians who, following a resignation, have been doing some additional work in their working hours. They have taken on some basic admin duties (data entry/looking after faculty notice board) and have now decided unless they are to be paid more or they won’t be doing these duties anymore. We didn’t replace the person that left as it was thought there was capacity in the team to take on some additional duties.

We can’t pay them more as the hours are within their working hours and they are on the same grade as an administrator is anyway.

Are we being unreasonable?  What steps would you take?

Thanks in advance.

• I suppose I'd check whether the job description (as surely all do?) includes the "anything else asked of you by your manager/headteacher" line, and then let them know that this is a reasonable additional task that will be part of their role on an ongoing basis. On a more placatory note, I'd probably want to meet with them as a team and find out why they think this is a problem - usually that kind of resistance is a symptom of underlying discontent, so trying to find out what the issues are generally and dealing with those (if possible) might be a way of getting them onside for this and all other aspects of their work.
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

Thanks for your reply. Appreciated. Yes, we do have that line in the job specs.