Leadership Pay Bands

Hi, hoping someone can assist me with explaining Leadership Bands and how these are used in Schools.  For example our policy states:

1   The governing body will determine a 5 point pay range for all other leadership posts from within the leadership scale contained in the School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document.

We want to advertise a Leadership role but the range could be anywhere between 8-14, does this mean we would have to use 2 pay ranges on the Advert, e.g. 6-10 and 11-15, or can we advertise the role from L8 to L14.

What I'm asking is how Leadership pay ranges are used within Schools.  Is this purely to show current employees how they can progress through the Leadership payscale or for additional reasons.

I have asked colleagues but no-one seems to know as previously I think decisions have been made outside the policy:(

• Under your current policy you should advertise it from 8-13 or 9-14. Or get the Governors to change your policy....

Why do you feel you need the extra point?
  • In reply to Keith:

Thanks Keith, it is a bit complicated but the range is to cover all interested parties (working internally) who are in post but either want some development or are at the maximum but would like a permanent post. Not sure it is the right thing to do but I often think that is the case here which is why I often get confused about what is the right/wrong thing to do. That's why I constantly come here looking for advice. Much appreciated.