Change from supply TA role to permanent TA role

Good morning all

I wonder if you can help. I am advising a client who has had an employee who has worked with them for a couple of years on a 'casual' basis providing TA supply in a school. She has now taken up a permanent TA role at the School. They have used her original start date as a supply TA as the continuous length of service, with a probationary period of 6 months. However, if they probationary period doesn't work out - how do they deal with that as she has more than 2 years' service?

In my view, a new contract with a new start date of September 2017 should have been given to show that this is a whole new contract, rather than a change to role....

What are your thoughts?

Many thanks

Joanne Moss

• You appear to have posted this question twice - this one with a slightly different title?

It makes it confusing to have multiple threads on same topic.
  • In reply to Keith:

I have because I posted in the general forum and in the HR in Schools forum to get a different perspective.
  • In reply to Joanne:

Its unhelpful and most people see both :-)
  • In reply to Keith:

I can't delete it now so I will consider myself told off and won't do it again.
  • In reply to Joanne:

Not told off - just a helpful hint :-)

Sure Steve will at some point come along and tidy things up :-)
  • Hi Joanne

Without knowing how the "casual" relationship was managed, it's hard to form a view on this being treated as continuous employment. It might well be correct.

However, to come to your question, as I think you have identified the school will not be able to tell the TA simply that she has failed her probationary period, thank you and goodbye. They will need to follow a fair dismissal process. I would expect to see informal feedback being given at first moving (after fair warning that this could happen) to more formal action and so on to dismissal. I am speaking in very general terms and exactly how they handle it will depend on whether any failure to perform is down to capability or conduct. However, as they have known this employee for a couple of years, let's hope neither applies.