Absence policy not applied consistently

Our absence policy in our school only allows 3 paid appointments in a 12 month rolling year, as it states that where possible usual drs and dentist appointments should be scheduled outside of term time. However, very often teachers are allowed up to 5 appointments paid where the support staff in schools are restricted to 3 with no exceptions. The reason for the inconsistency is that a different senior manager signs off the teachers to the support staff.

However now a teacher has been allowed a further 4 appointments to 4 he has already had this year, paid as they are all connected. Support staff in similar situations are always deducted pay.

Should I be raising this as an issue and what would be the best way to approach this with Senior Management? It seems unfair that certain staff are being deducted simply because of Senior Leadership and their application of the policy. 

Any advice is appreciated!

• Hi Rebecca

I think I’d speak to the senior manager first and get the full picture. For all you know, the senior manager could be asking these teachers to make the time up or there could be some other factor you are unaware of.

However, be tactful. One possibility is that you will be told that this senior manager believes the decisions are justified and not your business. Be ready to explain that other employees are held strictly to the policy.