Wellbeing surveys

Ive done a wellbeing questionnaire that im going to send around to all staff.  I want to home in on sorting staff out so that they are not working too much and make sure that the school are supporting every individual as and where they need it.  

There are no personal health questions and they are based around if they have time to do their job, management standards and working times etc..., so nothing to do with the medical health.  Therefore i want staff to input their name on the questionnaire... is there anything wrong in doing this, or should this be an anonymous questionnaire. 

My view is that there is nothing too personal on there and only myself will be seeing the results so i can put an action plan in place to support staff wellbeing. Ive had some criticism for this and been told that if it is not anonymous then its breaking employment law, which i doubt very much, but thought i would check with you guys and see what you thought.  Any help would be much appreciated to put my mind at rest. 

• Hi Daren

I can't see a legal problem with it, I'd be more worried about the level of honesty in the feedback if it's not anonymous?
  • Virtually every sort of this survey is anonymous otherwise the return rates tend to be very small. The things you refer to as personal may be seen very different to others

But its not breaking any laws to get people to sign it - you just may not get many people taking part which rather defeats the issue
  • Hi Darren,

Why not offer the option the put their name on - explaining that if they do add their name, you can follow up with the action plan. Point out if they don't, then you'll be unable to directly address their responses but will take them in to wider consideration.

Kind regards,
    Laura
  • I agree with Laura that the option to give their name covers you both ways. It comes down to what the purpose of the survey is - to get a snapshot of the organisation and any trends/organisational issues, or to find out what the issues are for each person on a 1:1 basis. If it's a combination of the two, you might get better value from conducting the trends survey anonymously, and then asking anyone who feels they would benefit from a 1:1 review and action plan to add their details and/or email you directly.
  • Is there a way that you can sort the staff into rough demographics that could help keep it semi-anonymous, e.g. by role or department, and give the option on putting their name for a more targeted response?