MATs - making the most of the Apprenticeship Levy

I'm a Lead HR Business Partner for a Multi-Academy Trust, and I'd be very interested to hear from others as to how you're working with (or planning to work with) your schools to encourage them to build apprenticeships into their resourcing and/or employee development plans.  

Do you have any apprentice posts at present? Are there plans to build on this?

Has your organisation appointed a 'lead' role on apprenticeship development?

Are you also giving consideration to becoming an approved apprenticeship provider in future?

I'm looking for an opportunity to share ideas, at this stage.

Many thanks.

• Hi Sarah,
    I'm new to an HR Director role in an independent school, and looking at this issue over the next few months with a view to working out the best way to build apprenticeships into our plans. I'd appreciate the opportunity to share ideas, though I don't have lots to offer yet!
  • Hi Sarah, I work for a small MAT in Kent, and whilst we don't have apprentices currently, we are looking for the best way to make the levy work for us, and would be happy to share ideas. Where are you in terms of location?
  • Hi Sarah

Like Nina, I am also from an independent school, I have currently employed a HR level 3 apprentice (she will be doing L5 as well) and we have an Apprentice Groundsman starting with us next month. We have two individuals in finance that will be embarking on apprenticeships next year as part of their AAT qualifications. As a School we believe that it fits in with our ethos that we support apprenticeships fully and use them where possible! It has fallen to me as Head of HR to manage the apprenticeships and to make sure we are making use of the levy where possible.

I have identified the following apprenticeship standards that may be of interest when they are approved.

- Teaching Assistant Apprenticeship Standard
    - Digital Marketer
    - Children Young People and Families Practitioner

We aren't really of the size to become an approved apprenticeship provider but i think it provides an excellent opportunity if you are big enough to really deliver exactly what you want!

Freya
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

Thank you for responding - happy to keep in touch as we move forward with our plans. (it's early days at present)
  • In reply to Penelope Walshe:

Our main office location is in Sidcup, but our schools are spread across the South-East. Thanks for getting back to me. I'm hoping this Forum will be useful as we all move forward with this.
  • This is an interesting article about the government's plans for apprentice teachers.
    www.theguardian.com/.../teacher-undergrad-school-vacancies-cheap