School Support Staff Contract

Hi 

I have a member of support staff who is contracted to work 41 weeks per year who has resigned with effect from 31st August 2017.  However, she wants to start her new job on 25th July - the Monday after school finishes.  

This has raised a couple of issues:

1. As the employee is not contracted to work, nor is paid, for all of the school holiday period - are we entitled to prevent her from working for another employer?  My understanding is that unless it is written in a contract, you cannot prevent an employee working for another employer during their annual leave so surely this must be the same principle for staff who are not contracted to work (or paid) over the school holidays?

2.My boss's view is that in this instance, the employee is putting herself in automatic breach of her contract with us if she starts on, say  25thJuly with her new employer, unless she has formal agreement from us  that she can start her new job during a notice period (there is nothing in our contract which states this).   She would not be able to fulfil all the clauses of her contract with us (the specific clause states "The Trust reserves the right to vary your daily hours of work temporarily or permanently in accordance with the times of the school day and the circumstances applying to the school.  In such circumstances one month’s notice will be given.You may be required to work additional hours outside of your normal working week, as and when required by the Trust.  Reasonable notice will be given"). 

The employee will probably bring her resignation date forward now anyway as she wants her P45 to give to her new employer to avoid paying emergency tax and actually once we did the reconciliation of pay owing there is no difference in pay between resigning wef July or August.

However taking this stance will have wider implications within our trust.  We have quite a few TA's who resign at the end of an academic year and due to the way their pay is calculated will put 31st August as their leaving date, and has historically been the case from being employed by the Local Authority.  So we would need to have some clause in their contract which prevents them from starting a new job until September.

Furthermore my boss has now decided that staff need to get express permission

-to be employed by another employer whilst they are employed by us and

- to work for another employer whilst on annual leave

He will probably want to stop employees taking summer jobs next - even though staff are not contracted to work over the summer or get paid for it!

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has come across this issue and/or is able to clarify our legal position from a contractual point of view?

Many thanks & Regards

Elaine

• I am struggling to see why on earth this question is being asked by your boss or what he will achieve by trying to stop her working from the 25th July when you have absolutely no need of her.

In reality you cant stop her and even if she was in breach of contract (its arguable) so what?

Its will be virtually impossible to construct an enforceable contractual clause that prevents these low level employees working for someone else or during the summer holidays and frankly why bother trying?

Whats the prize here? What am I missing?
  • Hi Elaine

Is the first name of your boss Adolf by any chance?

- or also known as Shylock?

Seriously, though, where's the detriment in reality to the employer in mutually agreeing an earlier official termination date of 21 July?

Moreover, your employer can't really unilaterally vary any employees' existing contracts to make them 'sole employer'

- quite appalling, really
  • In reply to David:

(crossed with equally=bemused Keith)
  • In reply to David:

Thank you for your comments. The issue from the employee's point of view is the reconciliation of pay. If she is made to resign in July she will lose money. The issue from the employer's point of view? - I am not sure!
  • In reply to Elaine Snell:

If she is paid 1/12 a month then the August payment is already owed to her so you should pay it anyway. Its payment for hours she has already worked. It is not payment for being on the books in August. Its deferred pay.
  • In reply to Keith:

This is all illustrative of what an iniquitous and needless nonsense term -time only pay really is: from the employee's point of view, they aren't provided with work outside of term time yet in effect don't get paid for swathes of this enforced 'holiday'

Now this boss of yours, Elaine, seems bent even on preventing these very low-pad term time only staff the opportunity to augment their pay during the school holidays and in deploying the arrangement in order needlessly to obstruct  a  resigning employee - a great pity that this  boss can't be made to try life and work and pay of one of their support workers - it might possibly enhance their humanity - or is this not possible with monsters?