Fit for Work certificate - do we include half term holiday dates?

I just need advice from a School perspective.  Have an employee off sick effective from the last day of term and who is still absent but am not sure if they have the same illness as the last day of term, or something else.

Am I right in thinking that they should be providing us with a Fit Note as they have effectively been absent from Friday 26th May to 7th June - 13 calendar days?  Or should I not take the term holiday into account?

also if the illness currently is not the same as they went off with on the 26th May do I still need to request a FIT note (if applicable to ask for one) or do I treat the absences as 2 separate cases?

Your assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks 

• Hi Sharon
    The simple is yes if they have been sick for more than seven consecutive days, regardless of term holidays.

The key here is being able to establish when the sickness started and ended, which could either be from a self certificate or a return to work interview. If the employee did not return to work after the half term then I would be requesting a doctor's note from the employee. Has the employee kept in touch giving you updates on their absence? If not I would be getting in touch with them.

Interestingly, for the purposes of statutory sick pay, even though it isn't recoverable, both support staff and teachers should provide fit notes if they are off sick for more than seven consecutive days, regardless of the school being in session or not.

They also need to give you a clear indication of when they would have been fit for work had the school not been on holiday. This date will then determine if a fit note is required or not.