Surveying 'wellbeing' among both teaching staff and support staff

Our new Head is keen to develop more of a wellbeing culture both among teaching and non-teaching staff, including recognising and attempting to address workload issues. We are an independent day and boarding school with a total of 200 staff. As a starting point I've been asked to look into what tools, questionnaires and surveys may be available to take the current 'organisational temperature'.  I am very aware that whatever tool we might use will raise expectations and that we must have a commitment to follow-up and feedback, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has done something similar.  What did you use, and what tips might you have?

Thanks

Jennifer

• Hi Jennifer

Back in 2010 when I first looked at health and wellbeing I was introduced to something called the workplace wellbeing charter wellbeingcharter.org.uk/index.php which provides a self assessment tool that could be useful. I also work in an independent school and believe there should be an increased focus on H&W and I know our recognised union also feels the same - maybe if you have a good relationship with your union you could approach them for ideas or they may have something you can use? As a follow us once you have analysed results and put together an action plan you could then issue a 'you said, we did' document

Hope that helps

Freya
  • Hi Jennifer,

I work in a Secondary Academy and for the last 2 years we have run the HSE Management Standards Indicator Tool, after being asked to conduct a stress audit by one of the trade unions. www.hse.gov.uk/.../downloads.htm

The tool is really easy to use and provides you with the questionnaire, spreadsheet and all of the data analysis that you need. We send out an identical questionnaire to teaching and support staff, but use different coloured paper to differentiate between the types of staff while still keeping it anonymous. The tool then lets you report for each type of staff and the staff group as a whole. Now we're on year 2, it also compares the 2 years of data so you can see how things are changing over time.

We send the questionnaires out in early October with a deadline before half term. That seems to be a more 'positive' time of year, when people aren't too tired but are back in the swing of things after the summer :) We've had around a 50% response rate, which is pretty good going for our staff group. By Christmas we feed back the results to staff along with a commitment from the leadership team of how they will support improvement in areas that don't score so well.

It seems to work for us, and isn't too onerous to operate.

Good luck!