Term Time Only - Sickness during Summer Break

Hi all

We have a term time only, permanent employee.

She had an operation at the end of summer term so had 4 days absent from work and then was on summer break.

She was unfit for work during that time due to recovering from the operation for 8 weeks. 

I don't have a copy of the medical certificate as she was only absent for 4 days - however she spoke to her manager in her return to work conversation and stated that her GP has said she is now fit to return. This leads me to believe she can provide this evidence if required. 

I believe she is due some annual leave back - how do we calculate this? 

We currently pay TTO staff their annnual leave on a termly basis.

Has anyone had a similar situation?

Thanks,

Briony

• Hi Briony,

For our term time only staff, we calculate their holiday pay and divide the amounts evenly over 12 months.
    If your member of staff was only absent for 4 working days, she can technically self cert for this period and you don't need to worry about the fit note.
    To my understanding, she can't be 'off sick' during non working days. (That's like saying you owe someone days off in the week as they were ill on a Saturday/ Sunday, they aren't paid for these days)
    So, you don't owe her holiday pay (neither should these days have been taken out of her sick pay entitlement).
    I would say, conduct a RTW in the first instance upon her return and mark her as returned the day after the last day of term.

Anyone please feel free to correct me!

Amy