HR in the educational sector

Hi, I am looking for some guidance or literature to read in relation to HR in a school environment. I have worked in the corporate world of HR for many years,  but after a career break retrained to work in careers. I have been asked if I could support the Head in relation to HR matters. I am aware that schools are quite different to the previous environments I have worked in. If anyone has tips, literature or resources they would be able to suggest, they would be gratefully received. Many thanks.

• In reply to Jessica:

Hi Jessica, where is your network?
  • In reply to Jo:

We're Nottingham based.
  • In reply to Jessica:

Hi, i'm based in Northampton so would be happy to travel to network with like minded. I've been in HR for 30 years but only schools since June, Higher Education, Charities and private sector before that......
  • This is a little late but I work for a charity for adults that also has a school - I recommend the NSPCC's Safer Recruitment in Education E-Learning and any safeguarding training as well.
  • In reply to Jo:

You'd be more than welcome email me jhannan@flyinghightrust.co.uk
  • I spent 15 years in HR in schools. The Single Central Register of Appointments is one of the main HR headaches in schools! As a school can fail an inspection if not compliant in this area it is really important to understand what has to be included. If you are in the independent sector I thoroughly recommend you read the Commentary on the Regulatory Requirements from the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI). Section 4 - Suitability of staff is the bible on safe recruitment! Back this up with Keeping Children Safe in Education (KCSIE), which is also relevant.
  • In reply to Jessica:

Hi Jessica,

I am looking to establish contact with HR schools networks- I appreciate this is an old post but is the network still going?

Thanks

Gemma