Love the new group - holiday pay in education

Thanks for creating this new group!  I am an HR consultant for a large independent school, as well as a Governor for my local (state) primary school and chair of the Personnel and Communications Committee. 

The independent school I work with employs term time only support staff, full time support staff, support staff who work in holidays - or both as well as teaching staff!  So, it can get a little confusing.  

For all those working in education, how do you work holiday for support staff?  Some schools will add on 10.77pc to the basic rate/salary to cover holidays for TTO staff, and pay the salary (based on 35 weeks) equally over 12 months.  But I'm not entirely comfortable with this given that it is, in effect, rolled up holiday pay!

There's one specific query - a support member of staff who works TTO X hours and also holiday periods for X hours.  They currently 'roll up' her holiday (*frown*).  Now, she's been working some regular overtime, so actually they should be paying the overtime at an average rate... you can see where I'm going here.  

I'd love to know how you all manage holiday payments for support staff!  

Many thanks 

Joanne Moss MCIPD

• Hi, for most areas there are formulae to apply, generally created by the LA, which means that support staff are effectively paid rolled up holiday pay. The formulae are based on hours worked and weeks worked in a year and means the support staff get paid holidays added to their pay every month. It is then monthly pay which is worked into a daily rate and used for OT payments.
    It's hugely complex - I am new to education and still getting my head around it, showing calculations in contracts! HT also are confused!
    But as long as you expect TTO staff to be present every day of term and only be off during school holidays, this is the way it will be!
  • I'm not sure if this answers your question, but I work out a member of staff's FTE based on their working hours, against a full time/all year round member of staff's working hours once holiday etc is removed. So our contracts amount to 1910 hours per year for a full time/all year round member of staff, but that reduces to 1662 hours once holidays, bank holidays and additional Christmas days are removed. I calculate a term time only (or 'term time only plus a few weeks') member of staff's FTE as their working hours as a proportion of that 1662. The pro rata of a full time salary automatically ensures they get paid holiday according to the hours worked, which is taken out of term time.

I also specify in the contract that it is assumed that holiday hours are taken at the first available opportunity in vacation periods, within each holiday year - so that it is clear which vacation weeks are annual leave and which are actually unpaid leave. It's only really relevant if someone had another reason for absence, so we'd need to be sure when/if holiday had been taken.

This year I'm aiming to move to a holiday entitlement in hours rather than days, but all these things take time ...!
  • Hi Joanne

You need to calculate what the relevant holiday percentage is based on the entitlement of a full time equivalent employee. 12.07% is the correct percentage if you pay the minimum 5.6 weeks (10.77% is incorrect in a manner of speaking and there's a lot of guidance on this if you search the internet).

You can pay holiday pay as part of salary for TTO staff if you pay them over a 12 month period as this isn't rolled up pay.

With regards to your specific query - if OT is regular, can you not add this to their contracted hours or offer a 2nd-duty contract, even if only fixed-term?