DOCAS - TU subscription payments

The draft regulations requiring us to charge union members for deducting union subscriptions from salary are planned to come into force on 10 March 2018. I’d be interested to hear how much others are planning to charge. Currently, the services we offer the Unions currently are the processing of the payments, updates when subs increase and a monthly report. I was considering a charge of 0.5% of the total DOCAS income collected. Do you think this would be reasonable? 

• This must be some sort of public sector nonsense so whatever you do ought to relate to similar bodies
    I certainly would not do more than 0.5%
  • In reply to Peter Stanway:

It certainly is nonsense Peter. The guidance states that we could be called upon by a third party to provide a rationale for the level of fee charged so it has to be reasonable and justified. Thanks for replying.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

24 Jan, 2018 16:04

I had to look this up so have tweaked the thread title... and include this link to the UNISON website.

• In reply to Lisa:

The other approach is to ask your Finance team what the cost is. My guess is s** all
  • In reply to Peter Stanway:

I have dug a little deeper into this and found out that we used to charge a fee of 1.25% for the processing of this data but stopped this in 2012 (reason unknown) so it makes sense to negotiate with this as the starting point. Thanks for your comments.
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Interestingly UNISON are looking at switching to Direct Debit.
    Check off dates from the era of payment in cash and should be consigned to the bin of history.
    Quite frankly why should an employer be involved in this ?.The responsibility for collecting subscriptions should lie with the TU.
  • In reply to Lisa:

0.5% was what was in a draft proposal from GMB and is also what is being by our LA payroll provider , if that is helpful?