Adverse DBS conversation

I have to conduct Adverse DBS Investigations for new applicants when a DBS shows that they have a conviction, normally this involves a chat and taking notes and copies of the DBS, this is sent to Safeguarding for a decision based on my report. Nothing is held on record for longer than necessary and everything gets destroyed at the conclusion.

I normally hold these conversations at a site that has an office that I can use, for confidentiality. I now have one with an applicant at a site where there is nowhere suitable to have a confidential conversation. I've spoken to one of my managers and they said it can be undertaken anywhere, even a public library. I disagree because of the risk and there is every likelihood that we will be overheard, for example, in some rooms, my voice seems to carry even when I talk quietly, I don't want the confidential and sensitive conversation ending up being discussed on Twitter with the hashtag #librarycrimes 

• Agreed. Information on an adverse DBS must be sensitive data by definition, so you are absolutely obliged to find somewhere private to meet. This may involve being creative (meeting out of hours) or spending some money (hiring a meeting room in a hotel) but it seems like the least the company should do. Do they really not have a single private office on the site? How do they manage other people-related conversations that need to be kept confidential?
  • Hi Paul, appreciate your dilemma, I bet if the manager in question was involved in a sensitive conversation about his own matters he'd soon find somewhere more appropriate! I guess your best bet would be to find a location such as a hotel or office space such as Regus (who can be incredibly expensive) and ask if you could use a small room which might give you some privacy. Libraries do sometimes have meeting rooms so worth checking at a local library, also places of worship sometimes have private rooms - some of the more recently built buildings come equipped with private spaces so worth checking. Also, it may not be appropriate, but Virgin were offering meeting spaces for their customers at some of their branches. Good luck!
  • Hi Paul

Are there any other businesses in the area who may have meeting space? In my previous place of work, we had an agreement with a couple of other nearby business that we could use each others meeting spaces if they were available. It could be a worthwhile, non cost option?
  • In reply to Caroline:

Sometimes supermarkets have community rooms, you can use for meetings.
  • I have done it in a car or by going for a walk. Not ideal but not everywhere has an office.
  • I would also recommend looking at village halls, civic centre type buildings and similar for fairly low cost meeting rooms.
  • Hi
    If it is a new applicant - One assumes that they have not started yet. If that is the case could you invite them to meet you at one of your other sites with a more confidential room available. If they are not local then yes I suggest that you would need to hire a venue/room locally. Or the alternative is to invite them to the building out of hours - or when a room might be available out of hours. But if the site is 24 hours then again would need to hire a room.
    If not could the Local Authority offer a room?
  • Hi
    If it is a new applicant - One assumes that they have not started yet. If that is the case could you invite them to meet you at one of your other sites with a more confidential room available. If they are not local then yes I suggest that you would need to hire a venue/room locally. Or the alternative is to invite them to the building out of hours - or when a room might be available out of hours. But if the site is 24 hours then again would need to hire a room.
  • Hi
  • Hi
  • Hi