Seeing and verifying DBS documentation for distance learning staff

I would really like some advice - we have some staff who work from home who work via an e-portfolio to assess work (We are based in Canterbury but some staff are from Manchester). They are not local to our college so I need some advice on how I would be able to see originals and verify right to work documents without being there myself. We have asked some staff to send their documents recorded delivery but they're not happy with this. Are there any document checking services people know of?

Many thanks

• Sending documents by post wouldn't work either as you need to verify that the pictures on the documents match the person you are looking at. ;-)

I believe there are quite a few umbrella agencies that can do DBS checks on your behalf - or could you contact a college local to your area and see if they would be willing to do the document check for you?

Jackie
  • In reply to Jacqueline:

Hi Jackie, thank you for your reply. I will look in to the other colleges idea thank you for this :)
  • Rebecca

I am confused as you mention DBS checks in the heading and then talk about right to work checks?  I believe DBS checks can be done remotely.  In the past I have used a provider who enabled me to register the employee  who uploaded the required documents directly onto the check provider's portal.  I never had to see any of it.  

Right to work checks on the other hand CANNOT be outsourced.  The legislation is very clear:  The employer has to see the original documentation and compare it to the person in front of them, before the employee starts to work for them.  No one else can do the check on the employer's behalf.  So asking another college to do the check is not sufficient for the purposes of the legislation (unless this college is the same employer).