In house HR transactional services

Hi all,

I hope your well. I work in a school as HR Manager, and wondered if anyone is able to share some advise. 

We currently buy in services from for HR transactional services and Payroll, and are looking to bring the HR transactional side only in house, Writing letters of appointment, arranging issue of contracts of employment and any associated documentation during the employment lifecycle of a staff member, rather than buying this service in.

Do any of you have this HR function in your School in-house? I would really appreciate some time or information on how/ if you do this this in your school, or if you know of a school that does this function in-house.

Look forward from hearing for you.

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards

Raiela 

HR & Payroll

• Hi Raiela
    I work in at The British School New Delhi as HR Manager and all are HR transactional services are carried out by us in house. We have around 280 plus employees in our school and all the documents such as contracts, probation confirmation letters, compensation letters, change in time etc are prepared by the HR team. Let me know if you are looking to understand anything in specific with regards to this.
  • In reply to Jayati Kohli :

Hi Jayati,
    Thank you for your reply.
    At the moment we have an outside HR transactional service that do this function on the schools behalf and have for many years, however with changes to the services over years has meant we have not been getting the same service. The school want me to look into how this can be taken in house preparing all employment cycle letters. Does your school have a system that produces these letter templates or have these been generated in-house? How does the HR team keep up to date with any changes that have to updated in contracts for example: pension, DBS or other elements of a contract? We have around 200 employees on various types of contracts.

Thanks
    Raiela
  • I have worked in an independent school where this and payroll were both in house and then an LA school where HR transactional services had been in house, was briefly outsourced when a new Business Manager was appointed and was quickly bought back in house. We became an academy and joined a MAT where the service is still in house, but our HR team now caters for all the schools in the Trust. Payroll is still outsourced.

Happy to answer any questions.
  • In reply to Alex:

Hi Alex,

Thank you for responding.
    We currently have an outside HR transactional service that performs this function on the school's behalf and has done so for many years; however, changes to the services over time have resulted in us not receiving the same service. The school has asked me to investigate how this can be handled in-house, including the preparation of all employment cycle letters. Is there a system in place at your school that generates these letter templates, or are they created in-house? How does the HR team stay up to date on any changes that need to be made to contracts, such as pensions, DBS, or other contract elements? We have approximately 200 people on various types of contracts.

I would really appreciate if you are able to provide some time to discuss over the phone?

Many Thanks
    Raiela
  • Hi Raiela

We are a team of 5 in HR and have created our own templates. We use a tracker to ensure that all our data is up to date.
    Each one of us have dedicated areas to handles the transactional services such a person for payroll who handles documents related to insurance, pensions etc.
    Then we have some who looks at onboarding and prepares and keeps a check on contract letters, safeguarding checks etc. Another person looks at compensation.
    We work on MS office currently and are looking to implement an HRIS to automate a lot of the manual work that we do on excel.
    Simple things like setting reminders, dedicating an hour or two to this work everyday ensures that we don’t miss things that need to updated every year.
    The tracker, checklist, reminders have been very helpful so far.
    To start with this, you may want to identify types of letters, formats that you will need to use. Create your own templates. Doing this will also mean increase manpower in your own department so that you can efficiently divide tasks to avoid any slip ups.
    Thanks
    Jayati
  • In reply to Raiela:

Sorry Raiela, only just spotted your reply. Happy to chat if still needed, can you send me a pm please.