Exit Interviews

Hello,

I wonder if anyone has an effective exit interview questionnaire or interview questions (to conduct face to face) that they would be willing to share. I'm looking for something that will be meaningful and provide useful feedback rather than just a tick box exercise.

Thanks in advance

Alison

• 1. What did you like most about working for ABC?
    2. What did you like least about working for ABC?
    3. Why did you leave?
  • We use the standard questions, but I find it more useful to read all the questions at the start (so that staff know what I am trying to find out), but then just have a conversation and see where it leads you. Staff have been much more open and honest using that method.

It can be more difficult pulling the information into a format that is easy to analyse but I tend to pick out key words/themes and that works well.

Our questions are
    1. Why are you leaving?
    2. How would you describe your employment with us?
    3. What may have made you stay?
    4. What could we do differently to improve staff experience?
  • In reply to Penelope Walshe:

Can you just clarify something? You both interview people - and then explain the reasoning/meaning of the form they have to fill in? Why both? Wouldn't you expect them to be a little candid given you'll probably be seen as a part of the management team?
  • In reply to David Perry:

Hi David. Sorry for the confusion. They don’t do both, we use the form/questions as a basis for conversation, but they don’t have to fill it in afterwards. We make notes as we chat. Most staff have reported that they have appreciated being given the opportunity to share their experiences.