DfE Teaching Vacancies

Good morning,

I work for a MAT and have been looking at where our schools advertise teaching posts.  TES is the main site used and having canvassed staff, this seems to be where teaching staff would look for teaching vacancies.

I wanted to reach out to fellow HR in education to ask if any of you use the free DfE Teaching Vacancies site and if this recruitment site has provided applications.

We did canvas teaching staff over a year ago and disappointingly they had little or no knowledge of the free government teaching recruitment site.

I'd also be grateful if you could share where you advertise your teaching vacancies.

Thank you,

Jodie

• Hi Jodie - in my part of the world (East Anglia), our Local Authority has a Job Finder site for education vacancies and my experience (as a school governor) is that most schools in the county use it regardless of whether they are a maintained school or academy. So maybe worth checking if your local authority has a similar site.
  • Hi Jodie,
    Eteach is the main competitor of TES.
    They also build software for schools. I.e. ATS, CRM, etc.
    They are also the oldest job board for education in UK
  • Hi Jodie

We don't use TES, too expensive. We use Eteach which can link to your website.

We also advertise on DfE jobs page and social media. Occasionally we will also use or local LA jobs board, but we have to pay for each listing so don't use it all the time.

We have built a good following with our MAT social media pages, so a lot of our clicks come from word of mouth. Many of our support roles list "facebook" as where they saw the ad.
  • we have used DfE platform but yielded no interest strangely.
  • Hi Jodie,
    We have used the DfE website in the past but we haven't found it effective. For teaching and non-teaching posts, we use, TES, My new term and Teach in Herts (Teach in Herts is only for schools in Herts). We are quite fortunate in that these platforms work well for us.

Kind regards
    Toni
  • Hi Jodie

Like many others, we post all of our Teaching vacancies on the DfE site, but haven't received a single application via that route yet. We use the TES and a local platform (Kent Teach).
  • In both my last schools we've used TES and the TES portal very successfully. We used to use both TES and e-Teach, but I certainly don't think it's worth doing both - TES has better coverage, but is more expensive. However the value of the recruitment portal (with only recruitment application and handling) is really strong for me.
  • My current organisation has been using TES but with very little success. It also uses ETeach, again with little success (so they tell me). My previous organisation again used both and feedback was that TES was expensive and the customer service was awful.

We got much better responses using our platform associated with PSP (our HR system) then. In this new place, they tend to go straight to agency and again, pay through the nose.
  • In reply to Michelle Gillian Jones:

Hi Gillian,

You shared you used the HR system PSP. How you are getting on with this HR system?

Jodie
  • In reply to Jodie:

Well, it's Michelle not Gillian (that's my middle name), and my new organisation doesn't use PSP. My old one did and it was fine, not fantastic.
  • In reply to Michelle Gillian Jones:

Apologies Michelle. We are using PSP and having some issues.
    Thank you.
  • In reply to Jodie:

It tends to have a major strop when it gets updated or when a new school is transferred in. Otherwise it's ok, it just doesn't do all it claims to. It's still better than what I'm using now though...