cipd study

Hi I am after some advice on what options I have for cipd study. I hold the level 3 qualification and have been in a HR role for over 5 years carrying out all aspects of HR. I would like to further study and would like to know whether I should do level 5 or can skip and do level 7? Is the possible? I have queried with online course providers and feel like they just want to get their sales and fill spaces so am looking for honest advice on my options. thank you.
  • You absolutely *can* skip to Level 7. You can even start there (I did).

However, the real question is what level of qualification you *need* for the role you are currently performing. You say you're in an HR role and performing "all" aspects of HR, but not at what level you're working.

Level 7 is pitched at people who are either working at or preparing to make the move to either HR Manager (leading a team delivering operational HR) or HR Business Partner (operating independently to advise and guide senior managers in HR practice and strategy).

Of course, you can do the qualification before you make that jump, but you should be wary of undertaking it too quickly if you are only working at an entry level (HR administration) or have only recently moved into transactional work (HR advisor).

A Level 7 qualification is also the gateway to Chartered MCIPD status. So, again, if you're at the point in your career where you're looking at your next move being into a role where this is an essential or desirable criterion then perhaps it would be a good time to look at doing the qualification. But if not, then maybe you need to accrue a bit more experience in transactional HR before making that next step.