Part Time Teachers and Directed Time

Hi All, 

Any help would be appreciated. I started at the Academy nearly 3 years ago, as a rule they do not provide staff with their directed time calculations. The Leadership team have said that staff work nowhere near the 1265 so it is not beneficial to provide a breakdown for them.

This has never been an issue until now, perhaps because Covid has muddied the waters over the last few years, but this year, part time staff are really querying their directed time and asking for lots of clarification on what they should and shouldn't be doing. Particularly an issue for a teacher who doesn't work a Thursday, this year all of our Progress evenings and Open evenings are on a Thursday so she is saying does she need to come in?...strictly speaking I know we cannot insist that teacher comes in for any of those evenings as it's not her working day but then she's missing vital evenings at School.

Has anyone got any good systems for dealing with directed time for part time teachers specifically? Would people recommend that part timers be given specific hours and expectations at the start of the year in relation to directed time? 

Many thanks

Jen

• Hi Jenny,

As a rule of thumb, the directed hours should be pro rata and so shouldn’t cause a problem.

In relation to the Thursdays, it is reasonable to request the individual to come in on those occasions as it is a legitimate business need. However, the individual would need to either be paid additional money for those session’s, paid through time off in lieu, or paid overtime.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    David