Teacher strikes

Good morning all

I understand that Teachers are not required to inform schools if they are planning to strike, but we would like to ask ours.

Does anyone have any examples of nice wording they have used in the past?

Many thanks

• We popped this on our staff share yesterday:

As I am sure you are aware, it has been agreed through national ballot, that teaching staff who are members of the NEU have the opportunity to be undertaking industrial action in February and March 2023.

In order for us to try to make arrangements in the event of industrial action, and in line with the DfE guidance Handling strike action in schools (publishing.service.gov.uk), we would like to ask our teaching staff to complete [this form]. This will enable us to ensure the site is safe and that young people are safeguarded should we be open.

We understand that teaching staff are under no obligation to share this information with us, but we would appreciate the ability to adequately plan for any absences as the DfE have requested that school do everything they can to open and operate for examination groups and vulnerable student as a minimum.  

If you have any questions about this at all, please do not hesitate to contact us.

• In reply to Kellyanne:

That is amazing, thank you
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

19 Jan, 2023 10:28

In reply to Kellyanne:

That's great, Kellyanne. I've removed the link to your form, which wasn't working and I think you've provided enough info with your very helpful response :)
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Should have removed the form, it's set to only work for those in our organisation. A lot of staff have come forward with childcare concerns as primary schools might be closing. We've just reassured people that they won't be deducted pay if they need to be absent due to childcare caused by industrial action
  • In reply to Kellyanne:

"We've just reassured people that they won't be deducted pay if they need to be absent due to childcare caused by industrial action" Thats a very generous starting point
  • Hopefully (you’d think) most staff who work in schools and are not striking would count as education workers and be able to send their children in to their own primary school
  • In reply to Rachel:

I hadn't considered that! Will definitely bring it up with my head
  • We have been notified of the numbers from NEU and we have more than three quarters of our teachers that are NEU members.

We put out an anonymous survey from a supportive angle to try and gauge how many of those members would be striking but got very few responses, so we can only assume most members will be striking.

Our Headteacher is currently risk assessing the situation and considering full closure of the school at this point as won't have capacity to look after students safely.

My concern is, how am I going to know which teachers are actually striking and who is just not in school due to the closure. None of the teachers pay union subscriptions through their salaries so I can't identify members that way. Is anybody else experiencing any similar issues? I fear people won't want to volunteer the information if they know we're going to closed due to the knock on effect on their pay. 

• In reply to Jenny:

Hi Jenny,
    I think a lot of schools are going to be in similar boats. The only thing you can feasibly do, is ask staff to report in to a specific contact and whoever doesn't should be deemed as being on strike.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

24 Jan, 2023 13:38

In reply to Jenny:

Hi Jenny... hope you don't mind but I have merged your post into this other current thread (same title!).
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

24 Jan, 2023 13:43

In reply to Steve Bridger:

While I'm here I'll leave these two updated Q&As and guides...

For employers...
    Working with trade unions

For employees (who might also be parents!)... our parental rights and family-friendly provisions Q&As include answers to commonly asked questions on the legal issues relating to time off rights for parents, including when schools are closed.

• In reply to Jenny:

My partner has been told in the past that his school closed the school to pupils but all staff not striking including TA's and support staff were told to attend work as normal. I suppose its a good opportunity to do those jobs you don't get around to doing when the pupils are in
  • In reply to Jenny:

Hi Jenny

All the schools in our Trust will be open on the strike day for vulnerable pupils (and some to more year groups if it's possible due to numbers). We have informed staff that anybody not striking will be required to sign in on the day and if anybody doesn't sign in then they will be deemed to be on strike and salary deducted accordingly, unless they have approved authorised absence in advance (e.g. we have a member of staff out on a course).
  • Striking when not in union

Hi everyone,

Need some thoughts/guidance on this please.

Whilst I am aware that non union members are protected from dismissal if they decide to strike during lawful industrial organised strikes, can we still take disciplinary action such as a management note of guidance?

We have a staff member whom has made it quite clear to other staff members that she will not be in tomorrow because she is striking, even though she is not in a union, her reason for this being that 'their is nothing they can do about it'. 

She has not made her intentions clear to us that she has decided to take part in the strike (although she technically doesn't have to I believe even if not in a union), and could still theoretically join the striking union tonight and strike any....however, what are your thoughts on taking this further as a conduct issue if she does not turn up to work as expected tomorrow as our school is staying open apart from Nursery and Reception?

Help from somebody with better industrial action knowledge than me would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for such a long and confusing post!

Kim

• In reply to Kim:

Is she part of a staff group in your organisation for which there is a recognised TU (e.g for collective bargaining etc)?