DBS - SEN School

Hi all,

Is an online bank statement acceptable to use if they download and print the pdf statement for DBS?

Does anyone know if we need to keep copies of ids supporting e.g passport, driving licence etc when completing the dbs application? Or do we just state seen on SCR

• My understanding is that online documents printed out are not acceptable for DBS and the Government guidance suggests this. It does mean that with the ongoing move to 'paperless' accounts, it can be more and more challenging for people to be able to provide the correct documents. I think they may be able to ask the bank to print it out and stamp it

www.gov.uk/.../id-checking-guidelines-for-countersignatory-applications
  • Keeping Children Safe in Education is the guidance that is relevant here:

Retention of documents
    276. Schools and colleges do not have to keep copies of DBS certificates in order to fulfil the duty of maintaining the single central record. To help schools and colleges comply with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 2018, when a school or college chooses to retain a copy, there should be a valid reason for doing so and it should not be kept for longer than six months. When the information is destroyed a school or college may keep a record of the fact that vetting was carried out, the result and the recruitment decision taken if they choose to.
    277. Copies of DBS certificates and records of criminal information disclosed by the candidate are covered by UK GDPR/DPA 2018 Article 10.91 A copy of the other documents used to verify the successful candidate’s identity, right to work and required qualifications should be kept on their personnel file.

Hope that helps.

Nina
  • Thank you Nina just to confirm copies of documents to confirming their identity/ address/ right to work in UK should be kept on file e.g. passport, driving license, bank statement. BUT no copies for confirming ID'S for the DBS application itself?
  • thank you Teresa, its becoming increasing hard, even utility bills have gone paperless. I wonder if they will ever change the requirements.
  • In reply to Nima:

Hi Nima,
    Agreed, copies of all the KCSIE check documentation, rather than the DBS documentation - but as they map pretty much directly across, you'll find they are the same. Obviously you don't keep a copy of the DBS either.
    Thanks, Nina
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

Noted, thank you so much Nina. Hope you have a lovely day.
  • In reply to Teresa:

Lloyds have just written to me telling me I am going paperless whether i want to or not.

Interestingly the last time i heard an issue re paper ID was in a Lloyds branch where a Polish couple were trying open an account and telling the staff thet the only Utility bill they had was online and Lloyds would not accept that as proof needed for anti money laundering regs !!!!

Equally a few years ago i had a producer after reporting my car mirror being knocked off and the Police made me print off the pdf insurance certificate i had on my phone and give it to them in paper format, the same with the MOT even though that is now printed on A4 with no anti fraud measures like the old paper certificates.

There is too much legislation/official guidance which has not kept up with common practice
  • The employee could go into a bank branch and get them to print it with a branch stamp on it and it is acceptable then.
  • In reply to Samantha:

If there is a branch near them.

If i wanted an HSBC because of branch closures I would have to take time off work to go to another town during office hours to get one, whilst pre covid i could have got one 5 mins walk from my house 5 1/2 days a week.

For my enhanced DBS I went for the pension statement, you still tend to get them in paper format at least once a year and the period of time valid for DBS proof is longer (12 months rather than 3), i would suggest they use that type of financial statement from group 2b to sidestep the issue