Repeated sickness levels

Hi all Don’t know if you can help We have a member of staff who has been repeatedly calling in sick for a variety of different reasons every time She’s been given a verbal warning and an action plan to achieve in a certain time scale, and this has been written down as proof of evidence, and numerous discussions on how we can get her attendance back up again However, she’s not met achievements or reached her targets and still is calling in sick we now need to go down the 2nd warning route, and if persists dismissal on the grounds of misconduct. Can you give any advice on how we can go about this/ what evidence or proof we need?
  • Do you know whether there's any underlying reasons behind the absences? I'd suggest referring her to an OHP and ask9ing them if there's any medical reasons for her continued absences.
  • Are any of the reasons for sickness work-related? If so I would suggest to the employee a referral to Occupational Health and I would also signpost them to an Employee Assistance Programme if you have one. Have you held any Welfare Meetings with the employee to ascertain the reasons for absence and whether there is anything underlying that you may not be aware of? You may also find that the more serious the meetings get regarding the absence, the more the employee may open up about underlying issues. I hope this helps.
  • Hi, I would consider inviting her to attend a formal sickness absence meeting that is in line with your managing sickness absence policy. At the meeting you can discuss the reasons for the absence, concerns about school operational difficulties as a result of the absence, consider if occupational health is required, consider if there is any appropriate monitoring period required or a formal sanction or both. You can also identity if the employee needs any further support.