New manager is enforcing our dress code

The company I’m working for has a new manager who wants to enforce our dress code as it is written. The written dress code is a generally smart appearance code, for example male members of staff like myself should be wearing a collared shirt and a tie though a full suit is not required.

I work in training and education and although we are not actually public facing, clients are sometimes brought into our office and shown around and this is the reason that our new manager wants to see everyone now adhere to the written dress code.

The issue is that the written dress code has never been previously enforced which was down to our previous manager who just did not enforce it and we have nearly all tended to dress more casually than what is written in the dress code. He has now retired and a new manager is in place.

She is very different from our previous manager, this is her first role as a manager, she is young and seems very enthusiastic to make changes though I don’t mean to put her down at all because of that, I actually give her credit for moving up into management at a young age. She has told us about some other changes she wants to make as new managers normally do, though the dress code seems to be a priority.  She told us that a three week period of grace will be given and then the written dress code needs to be adhered to.

She was asked about if anyone does not comply following the grace period, she said that she hoped that everyone will willingly start complying through the given grace period, though if anyone is still not complying they will then be disciplined. I was a bit shocked by this but that could be due to our previous manager, I can’t recall him ever taking anyone through a discipline procedure when there were a few times when he probably should have done. I’ll admit that he was too easy going and I guess I just got used to it.

I am one of the older male members of staff and I have previously worked to smart dress codes many years ago, though I’m currently dressing more casually than the written dress code. I would have thought there should be more of a consultation with us around enforcing this change though some of my colleagues actually feel that our manager is being quite fair as these are just existing dress code rules that we are now being told to adhere to and they feel that by allowing a grace period, we are being allowed time to adjust.

I would like to hear the views anyone has on this, I may be getting worked up over nothing, but do you feel she is being fair to enforce our dress code this way? Is it also right to go as far as disciplining people if they are not complying?

Gee

• When i was younger i worked in an office where i felt the dress code was very unfairly enforced (i was not alone and know of at least 1 ex colleague who left because of it).
    Men had to wear shirt and tie (so rigidly enforced that 1 day when i forget the tie i was sent to stand outside john lewis until it opened and to purchase one) whilst women were just told skirt or dress and a smart top.
    If the staff can not see the need for a policy it will just breed resentment - i don't know your industry so don't know the norms (training to accountants is going to be different from training to warehouse staff), it sounds like she is new and wants to stamp her mark.

She won't thank you for telling her so either you are going to have to suck it up OR if you have a suitable relationship have a quiet word with someone you know senior to her who can have a quiet word and get her to tone down her approach

I suspect there are a lot of companies where the written code relaxed over covid and has never returned to compliance
  • You've been lucky then - only having it enforced now. And the manager is giving you fair warning - which sounds reasonable. The fact that it was not enforced before makes no real difference in my opinion.

If the new rule was not enforced and people didn't comply what would you expect any decent manager to do?? Forget the whole thing or ...........??

I'm not completely unsymapathec though. Wearing ties in 2023?? No one - not even the Irish Taoseach wore a tie when I lived in Ireland and many of our ministers don't always bother. But a decent manager will, or should take into account the feelings of their staff, but doing so now might just send the wrong message out in that you are questioning their authority.
  • It’s already a dress code and she’s just enforcing a rule that has always been there. It’s just clothes and in the grand scheme of things is a minor.

Could you maybe suggest you have dress down Fridays, as a bit of a balance?

New manager is making her mark, and it sounds like the previous one was very lenient, and avoided discipling people when necessary, which is certainly more concerning than being asked to dress smart.

She is being very reasonable by giving a grace period, and as the rule is already in place, she doesn’t have to consult anyone to enforce it. It’s not a change in terms and

I also recall years ago there was some research around people dressed smart are more productive / professional.
  • In reply to Nichola:

As colleagues have observed, not much point having a dress code at all if it’s not managed. Provided the code is not unlawfully-discriminatory etc then it’s entirely reasonable to adopt and operate one, as do very many employers.

The workplace grievance procedure is always open to any employees having problems with the code, but in addition, possibly it might be suggested that it’s subjected to a review in order to ensure that it remains fully effective and up to date. And incorporating consulting staff about it. For example, social norms about what is and isn’t considered ‘smart business attire’ do change as time passes. I am old enough (just!) to remember when it was almost mandatory and universal for any self respecting office worker in the City of London to wear the standard‘city gent’ black bowler / coat / umbrella etc get-up but of course that’s history now.
  • Absolutely agree with Nichola, a dress down Friday looks like a good compromise with the caveat that those expecting visitors can keep to the business dress code if needed. There was a similar arrangement at a previous workplace where I was ridiculed for dressing up when everyone else was in casual clothing. I had to point out I was interviewing that day ...
  • In reply to Ian:

Hi Ian and thanks for your comments. Yes our manager is new and I think she wants to make her mark now as you suggest. I wouldn't say that she is actually being unfair by enforcing the dress code, though I would have liked some kind of consultation so maybe a compromise could be discussed and agreed. On the other hand, she is not amending any rules and just enforcing what is already written in our dress code.

I was also a bit shocked when she said anyone not complying will be disciplined, but that is probably because I've been so used to our previous managers easy going way of managing. To be honest though, he let things go when there were some times when he really should have taken some disciplinary measures.

I can see the funny side of when you forgot your tie and were sent to stand outside John Lewis until they opened for you to buy another tie. In theory something like that could now happen to me, and if it did, I'm sure I would not see a funny side then!

I don't feel this is going to be worth pushing so I'm thinking that I will just go with it and perhaps when the dust settles, maybe then try and see if some compromise can be agreed.

Gee

• In reply to David Perry:

Thanks for commenting David, I was just taken aback a little bit when our new manager said that she wll discipline anyone who does not comply. This is probably due to our previous manager, he was far too easy going and I don't recall him going through any discipline precedure with anyone when there were times when he should have done. I will take some positive in what she said as it does seem like she is going to be much stricter and won't be letting others get away with certain things like our previous manager did.

As for wearing ties in 2023, I would say that I feel our dress code is maybe a bit dated, though it was written some years ago and never updated. I don't think I will go questioning this right now, I'm thinking that is going to be best to just accept it and maybe later try to have some discussions with her around it.

Gee

• In reply to Nichola:

Hi Nicola, I appreciate your comments. Yes, you are quite correct in that our new manager is just enforcing what is already written so there are no changes being made to our terms and conditions.

I would have liked some kind of consultation so maybe a compromise could be discussed and agreed like you suggest. I don't think I'll suggest this right now, I'll probably just comply until it settles then maybe try making some suggestions.

Our previous manager was too lenient like you suggest, I can't recall him ever taking anyone through a discipline procedure, though there were some times when he should have done. I will take some positive in what our new manager said as it looks like if anyone does try taking advantage as they did with our previous manager, then she will act on this and discipline them.

I also recall reading research some years ago around if people dressed smart they can actually work more productively. Though I think there were some who disputed this and felt that people work better if they are dressed in clothes they are more comfortable in. I'll guess it's probably just down to each individual person.

Gee

• In reply to David:

Thanks for your comments David. I am hoping that we will be given an opportunity to consult and discuss updating our dress code, though I won't be asking for this at the moment. It was written quite some time ago and hasn't been updated. I think that 'what is and isn’t considered ‘smart business attire’ has changed over the years so having some discussion about this is something the company will hopefully see as a reasonable request.

I'm not quite old enough to have worked in the time when it was standard for London city gents to be seen with black bowler hats and an umbrella, though I am aware of this!

Gee

• In reply to Clare Marie:

Hi Clare Marie, thank you commenting and saying you fully agree with Nicola. I know that many workplaces allow dress down Fridays with a caveat that those expecting visitors need to keep to the business dress code. An issue with that might be that clients are sometimes shown around our office so our manager will likely want everyone to be dressed in business attire. It think some compromising is worth discussing, though probably not right away.

I'll guess that you also agree with Nicola around discipline (let me know). I was just taken aback a little when she said that she will discipline anyone who isn't complying after the grace period. I was thinking that most managers would have given one or two reminders first but perhaps I am just used to working under managers who are far too easy going. Do you think she is being fair on this?

Gee

• In reply to Guy:

....Unreal City,

Under the brown fog of a winter dawn,

A crowd flowed over London Bridge, so many,

I had not thought death had undone so many.

Sighs, short and infrequent, were exhaled,

And each man fixed his eyes before his feet.

Flowed up the hill and down King William Street,

To where Saint Mary Woolnoth kept the hours

With a dead sound on the final stroke of nine....

(TS Eliot)

- it was once like a big black tidal wave of city gents flowing over the Thames bridges morning and evening from and to the rail stations.