Internal interviews

We have recently advertised and recruited for two internal positions within our organisation. As an educational establishment, this was done in the last two weeks of term with candidates being asked to submit an expression of interest by the 17th and then interviews to be held the week of the 17th. When interviewing one of the candidates for for the role she gave a very poor interview and came across as hostile towards the interview panel. As we felt this did not reflect her true capability a second interview was offered. Her complaint was that she was only given 48 hours notice of the interview, although we had specified our intention to interview t week in questions and that she wish ‘swithdraw her application at this point. Communication between herself and the manager involved seems to be very much around our lack of notice for the interview and our lack of knowledge of her skills as opposed to her reluctance to interview.. I feel like the manager involved is being caught up in apologising for the lack of notice rather than just addressing the issue as a whole that she did not give a good interview and she is being offered a second chance as a result of that and we’re just going round in circles at the moment. Any advice
  • Internal candidates often think that the interview panel should have assumed knowledge of their skills/experience etc, and not have to ask about them as part of the interview, but that doesn't reflect the fact that the purpose of the interview is to assess precisely those areas of skills/experience/knowledge, rather than assume it. The fact that the interview was within 2 days of shortlisting isn't particularly unusual with internal recruitment and selection, as assuming that the applicants weren't being asked to produce something in advance (e.g presentation/discussion document or similar) which may have taken longer than 48 hours to do it justice, then it's reasonable for the panel to expect that the interviewees will know their own CVs inside out, and have done their research/read the job description as part of preparation when writing their application. You've offered the applicant a second interview, which you didn't need to do, but you've done it in good faith, so that the applicant has a further opportunity to demonstrate their skills etc, despite their earlier performance. In essence you're offering a second chance. If the applicant chooses not to go ahead, then that's their prerogative, so while it's worth encouraging them to reconsider, if they're adamant, then accept their wish to withdraw from the process gracefully and thank them for their interest in the post. Advise the manager to stop apologising and instead seek to draw this to a conclusion - either the applicant wishes to attend the second interview and you ask her to confirm her intention by X date, or she doesn't in which case she should confirm this by the same date; then proceed accordingly (either interview and complete the selection process, or don't interview and that's where the process ends in respect of her application)
  • I agree with Ann. It sounds like they aren't the right person for the job, and perhaps they secretly agree with you, given their reluctance to go ahead with the second interview.

At this stage I would conclude matters, offer the job to the other candidate, and offer her feedback - perhaps from you rather than the manager, if you feel that has become a difficult relationship. Someone neutral who can help her understand the way that she came across to the panel might be more useful to her career as a whole.
  • Hi Donna,
    A very good solution from Ann. In the aftermath of this incident, I would advise you to develop objective interview evaluation forms to use for precisely these types of situations. If you know your STAR technique, its a very good way to note examples of evidence showcased in the interview, and thus easier to provide feedback to candidates, whether internal or external.

Let me know if you need help creating them, as I created them for many organizations in the past, and if these can help you, just holler :)

Best of Luck !