Internal Job Applications - Repeat Applications for Promotion

Does anybody have any advice/tips/experiences to share for dealing with repeated job applications from existing staff and managing those who are repeatedly unsuccessful?  Particularly when applicants re-submit within a very short timeframe.

As per our recruitment policy, we advertise all of our positions internally and some externally.  If we are confident that we may fill a role internally and to offer opportunities to existing staff to progress, we will advertise internally only, but we often find that we need to advertise externally as well as we may not have the quality needed.

In cases where there is opportunity to progress, we often receive applications from internal applicants and sometimes they are unsuccessful.  We have some situations currently when they continue to apply but are continually not at the required standard and are unsuccessful again and again.

We follow a fair and consistent process throughout and provide feedback to the unsuccessful applicants.  We also offer training and support from colleagues to coach and support them and give them opportunities to take on extra responsibilities.

After all of this, we still find ourselves in situations where the applicants still fail at interview stage when they apply again despite having feedback and support but they continue to put themselves forward.

We don't currently prevent them from applying again but we may suggest when we feedback that it would be a good idea to give themselves some time to work on some of the areas they were weak in and take time to benefit from further training and support.  It can be very disheartening for them.

Do any of you experience this within your settings?  Do you prevent people from re-applying?  When somebody has been through a process several times for the same role, it creates an additional issue because they have been through the interview previously/have done the assessment previously and we try to change assessments and move them to different areas of school for assessment but that is also a challenge as we have a high level of recruitment activity.  Do you alter your interview process if you have previous applicants on the shortlist so that they are not repeating what they have been through previously?

I would welcome any information about your experiences in your settings with this issue if you are faced with this.

• We would just reject at shortlisting stage for these candidates based on the previous process feedback unless something had changed. Its unfair to them and inefficient for you to keep putting them through a process they are going to be unsuccessful in. By allowing them to progress I am not sure you are sending out right message or helping them
  • The first thing that struck me about your post was the high number of internal candidates who are unsuccessful. It might appear that what support, training, coaching and so on, you offer isn't adequate.

Perhaps the person specs, your job specs, etc., need looking at ,so it makes it clearer to candidates whether they have any realistic chance of being successful.

It must be very demotivating, especially if you are going to tell some of them to not bother apply in future.
  • For those applying within a very short space of time of being unsuccessful from their last application I would be trying to find out about their motivations for applying?

I often saw this with some of the technicians I worked with in my last engineering industry role. We had a couple of usual suspects who did this, and it boiled down to them wanting the higher pay that came with the role rather than any drive or desire to progress or take on more responsibility. It was then made clear that if they wished to be taken seriously for future applications that they needed to actually demonstrate the behaviours and competencies we were looking for in their application and day to day performance.