Staff induction - education setting

We're planning to re-vamp our staff induction this year. At the moment, HR is hardly involved in teacher induction, which we don't think is right. And induction for support staff has so far been rather poor and not very professional.

I'm trying to gather ideas about not so obvious things to include in our new induction presentation. So I'm interested in how other schools do, would love to get some input. Thank you!

• No one wants to sit down and spend time being lectured to. Perhaps think up some quizes. You could split induction participants into teams/groups - someone in each time may have some idea of the answers - a simple competition

I've done things like get key induction staff to identify something they have done, but others won't necessarily know about. Get the group to find out who the person/s is.

Another quiz - in pairs see who can come with the most information/facts etc., about the school + staff. Doesn't matter what they know they'll then want to know the 'right answers.

Use a bit of imagination.
  • We hold a HR induction before starting, which includes safeguarding checks and talking through how pay works, pensions etc.

The schools hold their own inductions when staff start as these are site specific, and I have recorded some workshops on things like equal ops etc, which the school arranges for staff to watch.

This seems to work quite well.
  • Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

10 Jan, 2024 11:37

For brand new teachers (fresh out of uni with first class of their own, as applies to my daughter!) How about dress code - what is acceptable and what isn't - often they are having to buy a whole new wardrobe - shoes were a particular issue as school very vague on what constitutes trainers!! Also how to claim expenses eg for buying things needed for class when setting up over the summer, also simple, practical things like how much food costs for teachers from the canteen and the process for ordering. My daughter had all the latest teaching skills and theory from a successful degree at uni, but needed some info on the basics! Pre summer holidays all the teachers are very busy closing down for the holidays and she didn't want to bother them with too many minor questions, and that's when she got the job - to start Sept. Hope this helps!
  • In reply to Johanna:

Appropriate  dress - a good example of where some photographs from a magazine etc., of various people in different clothing, distributed to the group/ and each group feeding back what they think about each 'style', in terms of appropriateness will result in an excellent discussion allowing the instructor/tutor etc., to give a clear explanation of what the school thinks is appropriate.

• For our September starters, we have a welcome day at the end of the summer term (and pay for supply cover if they are working in a school who would struggle to release them). We coincide that with our 'move up' day, so that the new teachers can meet their new classes as part of the day, and do a brief fun activity with them.

We also get them set up on the systems (physical access plus IT access) and give them their tech, so that they can prepare ahead of September. We set a programme of (mainly compliance) training courses on TES Develop, again so that they can be completed well in advance of the new term.

The rest of the welcome day they meet some new faces, and spend time with their departments or line managers.

We then have a new staff induction day on the day before our September INSET, with some formal sessions - a welcome from the Head and deputies, setting out who is responsible for what, safeguarding, health and safety - and one of the most valuable sessions is a detailed tour of both sites, which is so much harder to do when school is in session. Our Head of Staff Development (teacher responsibility) co-ordinates the day, but HR is very much part of that and we work together so that support staff and teachers get a parallel/co-ordinated introduction.

This all works really well for our September starters - but much more difficult for starters mid-year, so that's our current focus!

Thanks,

Nina
  • Katazyna, I have a number of final year undergraduates working on a project to explore Head Teacher (Primary level) induction in an Academy. If you can assist or are interested in a conversation with them, I could pass on your details