Reasons for allowing/rejecting flexible working requests...

A bit of a dilemma we have here....

Can a Company take a site wide stance (for all roles) on the parameters it will allow for flexible working? e.g. can the Company say we will only allow 8 hours per day working, or only 2 days homeworking per week?

Is that something that we can stand behind when we reject a request which is outwith these parameters? It doesn't seem to fit into the 8 business reasons we are to refer to when refusing, but can the Company choose to set out an environment like this as the business sees fit?

Lesley

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

28 Sep, 2021 10:14

Hi Lesley,

First thoughts - are you conflating 'flexible working' with 'homeworking'?
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Hi Steve, so our flexible working policy currently refers to the fact that employees can request a change to their location. As you would expect since the pandemic, we are seeing more people request homeworking as a change to the location via this policy.

Additional complexity is that the Company have now implemented a (secondary) UK wide Flexible Homeworking policy. The key points of this policy are that it only considers homeworking requests, will only permit up to 2 days homeworking, and is not considered a change to terms and conditions (i.e. could be removed or amended as Company wishes).

What we now have is people asking for, and getting the 2 days homeworking.... but then putting in an additional request via the original policy, for a permanent change to their ts and cs, from a location point of view - maybe an additional day or two homeworking.

We are currently discussing, as a team, whether we can apply a site wide approach to any flexible working requests, by setting parameters regardless of their role..

I'm not convinced, but am happy to hear your views....
  • In reply to Lesley:

No arbitrary site wide parameters aren't in themselves a reason to accept or reject a genuine flexible working request under the legislation.
  • In reply to Keith:

thank you.. I appreciate this.
  • Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

28 Sep, 2021 11:21

Hi Lesley, you can also make a free call to the 24/7 employment law helpline for CIPD members if you want to have a chat with someone about this scenario: www.cipd.co.uk/.../advice-support
  • In reply to Lesley:

At best they are a guide to be considered but company policy and precedents are not part of the 8 statutory reasons.
  • My understanding around flexible working is that precedent is not a helpful concept - because saying yes to Bob sometimes means that there's no flexibility to allow Fred exactly the same arrangement. Unless the 'only 2 days homeworking per week' on a macro basis can be used to support one of the fair reasons, I can't see it being acceptable as it shows you've not considered the individual circumstances.
  • Hi again, does anyone have any advice or views on this reason for rejection below please (e.g. is it valid?):

The company is not set up to permit contractual working from home due to the burden of additional costs to support it.

In a contractual agreement, the onus is on the company to risk assess the working environment to ensure the safety of our employees – for example the company would be required to assess the standard of home office equipment and provide any equipment to bring up to standard – there would also be the onus to test this equipment as part of a planned maintenance schedule – this cannot be funded nor resourced by the company.

IT equipment and support would also need to be provided to ensure secure and reliable connection – this cannot be funded nor resourced by the company.

• In reply to Lesley:

Sounds pretty pathetic but it might work.
  • In reply to Peter Stanway:

If I could "love" this comment, I would :-)