Hybrid working request

Hello,

We have an employee who has always expressed the desire to work remotely since before the pandemic (they have not asked formally via a flexible working request.

As an organisation we have decided that we want staff to work 3 days in the office and 2 days at home. We have also moved in to a new office over the pandemic and a significant amount of money has been spent to ensure that it's a nice environment for all to return to though I appreciate that working from home has changed many attitudes.

The employee mentioned above has had a few issues since returning to the office, things cited as lack of sunlight, temperature etc and we have been trying to make adjustments but they are very clear that they want to work remotely. They have said they would be willing to come in one day a week.

I am fully aware of what we can and can't agree to if it were to go to a formal flexible working request so I don't need advice on this but what I really need help with is how do we deal with the impact on the rest of the team? The work can be done at home but we are fully aware that if we allow this for one employee, then there will be about 3/4 other members of the team who will want to do the same which is not what we want overall. I'm aware that we cannot use company culture/ethos as a reason not to grant the request if it's a formal flexible working request so how should we manage this for the team overall?

• Welcome to the communities

As you have said you are fully aware of what the flexible working requirements are on you. That means that if they make such a request, and are the first, and you accept the job can be done easily from home, you are unlikely to legally be able to reject it. The solution therefore is to find a solution before they make such a request.

The law also accepts that it can be a case of first come first served on these requests. So find a compromise/solution before they make it formal as we all should seek to
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

26 Oct, 2021 12:27

Hi Rhianna... and welcome!

Did you arrive at the 3 days in, 2 days wfh arrangement through consultation or was it very much top down? We're seeing quite a few examples in these forums of employers allowing hybrid working... but not being very flexible.

What would the impact really be on the team, if you've said yourself that the work can be done wfh?

Have you seen these resources?

Guide for line managers on supporting hybrid working

Flowchart for assessing a role for hybrid working

Returning to the workplace - resources