Working from home and caring for a child

Hi how do you handle a female employee's flexible working request to work from home whilst caring for a child I.e. they do not want to pay for childcare and intend to work and care for baby at the same time. can you ask they sort childcare and give parental leave to do so or could that be potential indirect discrimination? thanks

• I think you are taking the right approach. Working from home isn't a substitute for childcare.
  • I agree fully with Sunny yet tried to think of a way that they can be accommodated. Perhaps if somehow the work can still be done properly and the employee will work extra hours to meet the goals without extra pay - I recognise this isn't always possible for all job fields/types/levels - i guess it can potentially be accepted?
  • Presumably Helen, the flexible work request will outline how this going to work and you have the right to raise questions and concerns on how this arrangement might work in reality. Childcare is hugely expensive and also getting more difficult to find, with many childcare providers under pressure like other businesses. Perhaps this is a good opportunity to discuss this as part of the request process.

Some companies do have a...it doesn't matter when the work is done so you can accommodate some interruptions or work your hours when you want, yet that might not work for the business, colleagues and you have a duty of care to them too.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

27 Apr, 2022 09:05

In reply to Sharon:

Hi Sharon...

Yes, indeed. I recall this discussion from last May where   said:

We have moved to an outputs based approach for measuring performance -i.e. can staff perform their job to the required level and are the delivering what we need them to deliver? If they are, then there's no issue.

• Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

27 Apr, 2022 10:48

The change in how we've been working over the last two years has opened up opportunities for far more flexible and inclusive approaches to managing our working lives. The CIPD advocates a #FlexFrom1st approach. As a society, we've proved across the world, that many types of work can be done productively and efficiently from home/hybridly in a flexible manner, with family members, flatmates, occasional visitors very much part of the picture! When you factor in the cost of living crisis as well as difficulty in accessing childcare it's not surprising that workers want to balance all of these considerations as best as they can - and it's in their interest to make it work, so they'll likely be trying their hardest in that respect. When requesting flexible working, has your colleague explained how she plans to make the situation work to fulfil her work responsibilities effectively? Is there any scope for a trial period?

Not advocating you go one route or the other Helen, just adding some further context to the discussion... I did want to highlight this brand new evidence-based CIPD report on flexible/hybrid working and the key recommendations:

Our research suggests that, to be successful when implementing flexible and hybrid working practices, employers should:

- allow workers to request flexible working from day one of employment
    - raise awareness of different forms of flexible working
    - consult with employees when designing flexible or hybrid working practices
    - assess risks based on equality and inclusion
    - provide support and training for managers
    - focus on outcomes, rather than being ‘present’ in the office
    - invest in appropriate technology
    - maintain a strong focus on employee health and wellbeing
    - implement plans to avoid overworking and burnout.

www.cipd.co.uk/.../flexible-hybrid-working-practices

• seconding the bits that others highlighted re duty of care for others. if the concerned emoloyee will work outside normal hours and get "their bits done" but if that means other peers need to wait around or have to pick up things like phone calls or any other things that arises during the busy hours, that is unfair.