Working abroad policy

Hello, We have been getting more people requesting to work abroad and we have started to let people in certain circumstances (such as visiting family they haven't seen in awhile) work up to 5 working days abroad. I am trying to write up our own working abroad policy and would like to see what kind of things are included in other companies' policy (if you have one)? We're aware there are tax implications if people working over specific amount of days, so also need to take that into consideration. Any ideas/suggestions would be really helpful! thanks, Azzy.
  • Hi,

You're raising an interesting point and I'm sure others may have implemented similar policies.

In terms of income tax implications, the magic number is 183 days a year abroad. However every case is different, although I seriously doubt some government agency will be chasing someone who worked for a week or two from abroad.

Your bigger concern may be operational impact of not being in the UK, especially in roles that do require on-site presence. You will find that in some roles this is possible more than in others, no different to WFH requests.

Also, there may be GDPR implications of working abroad, especially if the worker wants to go outside EEA.